Facing a column

Jim_Allen

I am trying to create a working drawing for a column. It is 4' high, 180' round. 1/2" plywood top and bottom, supported by 2x4s.

I have the sructure but cannot figure out how to apply, or create a facing for the round structure to be able to apply the texture.

The simple question? - how can I bend a piece of lauan to 180' to apply it to the supporting structure.

Jim

That is what I did for the set design rendering.I created a 180' circle arc, extruded to 8' and applied a texture.

Now I am faced with doing a working drawing that shows how this set piece is built. Interior support 2x4s,top and bottom, and facing. I have the 3-D piece created with the top and bottom 1/2" plywood pieces and the verticle 2x4s, but I cannot figure out how to create a 180' circular facing to put on the front of it so my students can see how it should look.

My goal is to be able to show it from the front and then rotate to show the inside from the back and how it will look when built.

Maybe this can't be done???

Ray's suggestion will give you what you want.

The Clip will give you a polyline which is the effective cross section of the facing sheet (as long as the original arcs had a solid fill)

Or draw the inside and outside arcs, join the ends with lines and Compose.

Just extrude that.

Alan's method will give the same 3D shape but it will be a Solid Subtraction object rather than an Extrude object.

Jim

- Create the 'skin' with the Round Wall Tool with its thickness set to 1/2".

- Create a 2" x 4" vertical stud by drawing the plan shape and extruding it by the required height.

- Use circular array to place the required number of studs around the back face of the 'skin'.

- Draw the bottom plate profile in 2D and extrude this by the required thickness.

- Copy this bottom plate and then Paste in Place a copy. Use Move 3D to move this to the correct height.

You can control the appearance of the 'skin' and structural framing using Classes for each.