Getting used to VW

Joe,

You need to select the stack layers option under the view menu in order to hide 2D elements used to create the roof object. Also you can delete the 2D geometry used to create roof objects as it is no longer needed to support the roof data. This same thing happens in the plan as any 2D lines you draw in your model will stay viewable in 3D until you stack layers.

Pete A

Joe,

Because Open GL uses quite a bit of processer rescources it would be difficult to work with all the time and would be quite slow as the model increased in size and complexity. The reason to work in wireframe is really simple....you can manipulate the model to get the view you want as well as modify and add objects while in the 3D environment then with quick keys (CTRL/SHIFT/G) render the model. By keying in (CTRL/5) you can go right back to the 2D plan view and continue working. I bounce around this way constantly as I develop my model.

The following picture shows a structure built using walls, windows, doors and roof objects...but all the extra items were added in a combination of 2D and 3D environment.

FLRenderS.jpg

I feel your pain, my friend...VW is difficult to grasp if you are used to any other programs. SketchUp, for instance, leaves VW in the dust for 3D modeling/viewing. The NNA ads all claim "easiest to use, powerful, intuitive 3D, etc...", but what a pain in the a$$ to learn, once you are familiar with something else! Keep working with it, in time you'll get the hang of the program. No, it isn't intuitive, but you will figure it out eventually! Best of luck!

Edited by eclair
If it were not a perspective view I could spin this in real time no problem.

In VW you can spin this real time in OpenGL while it is in perspective.

There is nothing to stop you building 3D in Open GL.

What you have to remember is that VW is a Hybrid environment that has a 2D and a 3D "space"

If you go to Top/Plan view (as against Top view) you will always go into the 2D-flat-on-the-screen environment which is always in wireframe. If you stay in 3D space you will remain in Open Gl if thats where you left it.

HTH

JoeF provides an example of his professional work ...

If it were not a perspective view I could spin this in real time no problem. Of course the program I use to create this image is more expensive than VW. That's the reason I am learning VW.

Excellent ... and... easily reproducible with VW !

My sample is not a rendered view. It is hidden line. I should have mentioned that. If I can produce this in VW I'll be happy. So far I have been unable to define wall patterns in a hidden line view. Can you have textures in Open GL? My mission is to avoid having to maually add textures to my model in elevation. We just finished a project that was done in AutoCAD and much time was spent manually applying complex hatching to elevations. We have been looking to avoid this manual labour by switching to Vectoworks. The promise of a 3d model that changes in elevation when you change the plans is very attractive.