Creating new lighting object w/ light source

jdthatcher

I've gotten a step beyond this and want more control over the light source that my custom instrument uses. Is it possible to use an IES file for the distribution? Use a line or area source?

If not, is there a way to control the falloff of the spot? It seems like the default spotlight source has no falloff at all. This gives weird artifacts in a garden layout - a small light from the top of the terrace casts a harsh shadow 40' away.

Thanks!

Blossom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I too am having lots of trouble with light sources. If I simply flip the lighting device vertically, the beam is also flipped. I can't find any info about setting emitter location or orientation. I can't seem to simply make a moving light sit on the floor and point up at the ceiling--or horizontally for that matter. I frequently get incalculable angles. What's the secret? Is it so obvious nobody talks about it?

Echo Ben's problem - I'm able to insert instruments and make them light an object on a stage just fine, assuming a traditional front lighting position. However, if I try to put a light onto the stage to uplight something, it is all but impossible.

For example, I took a S4 PAR and placed at the stage level. The fixture needed to be flipped over because it was setup by default for a traditional hang position (upside down), and I needed it set up as a floor-based fixture. However, when I do that, VW gets confused and flips the light source as well, and focuses opposite the direction it's supposed to to hit the focus point.

I can email a screen capture of what I'm talking about if I'm not being clear enough here.

HELP!