12.5 Framing Member Tool Problem

Diamond

Question

I am having a problem with the framing member tool.

I get an error saying "The framing Member Tool could not be selected. Make sure it is in your plugin's folder." I have checked and all three needed files are there. I have tried copying the files across from the machine that isn't having the problem. That didn't fix the problem. I have checked with Julian Carr (Australian VW Distributor and all round good guy and VW guru) and he isn't sure what the problem is at this time. I though Katie or some other guru from Nemetschek might be able to help.

In our office we are running PC's. All using XP Pro SP2. Most have Quicktime 7.0.3 installed. Although mine has QT 7.1.3 installed. I have reinstalled 3 times on my machine and it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

At the moment we have installed the 12.5 update on 3 PC's so far. Two have the problem. One doesn't. The one that doesn't is a newer PC with it's own internal DVD drive. The two older workstations have VW installed from an external Sony DVD drive.

Of the two machines that have the problem one is using Quicktime 7.0.3 and the other 7.1.3. The newer machine has 7.0.3 installed.

I look forward to some fine feedback.

Cheers.

PS When I go into the Workspace Editor, drag the framing tool icon out of my workspace, and try to re-insert it back into my workspace, the framing tool does not show up in any list of the tools. Somewhere along the line, the message isn't getting from the Plugins folder to the application front end. (ie there is a break down in between)

Edited by Diamond

25 answers to this question

Don't re-install the OS -- that isn't the issue. Double-check that you have an Architect or Designer serial number entered. (This is shown in the "About VectorWorks" dialog, under the Help menu.)

Charles

According to the 'About Vectorworks', I have Fundamentals, Architect, and Renderworks installed. The problem seems to be entirely random throughout the office I work in. As an experienced VW user, I am pushed understaning what the problem is. The problem is only with this tool. I have no idea why.

Diamond,

I had the same problem, and after a whole lot of frustration and trial-and-error, here's what worked for me:

1. Reinstall the 12.5 Framing Member Tool plugins

2. Remove the extention ".vwobject" from the file "FramingMember.vwobject."

3. Open (a copy of) the Workspace and remove the Framing Member Tool from the Tools Palette.

4. Save the edited workspace and exit the Workspace Editor.

5. Quit then restart VW.

6. Open the edited workspace in the Workspace Editor and add the Framing Member Tool back to the workspace.

Diamond,

Since you mentioned that Julian sent you the plug-ins, I assumed you replaced the 12.5 plugins with the ones Julian sent you.

Take the replacement plugins out of the plugins folder and put the original 12.5 plugins back in then proceed with step 2.

(When I tried replacing the 12.5 plugins with the ones NNA sent, I stuck the 12.5 plugins in a folder on the desktop so I could swap them back if the replacement plugins didn't solve the problem (which they didn't).)