Sign in to follow this  
Diamond

12.5 Framing Member Tool Problem

Question

I am having a problem with the framing member tool.

I get an error saying "The framing Member Tool could not be selected. Make sure it is in your plugin's folder." I have checked and all three needed files are there. I have tried copying the files across from the machine that isn't having the problem. That didn't fix the problem. I have checked with Julian Carr (Australian VW Distributor and all round good guy and VW guru) and he isn't sure what the problem is at this time. I though Katie or some other guru from Nemetschek might be able to help.

In our office we are running PC's. All using XP Pro SP2. Most have Quicktime 7.0.3 installed. Although mine has QT 7.1.3 installed. I have reinstalled 3 times on my machine and it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

At the moment we have installed the 12.5 update on 3 PC's so far. Two have the problem. One doesn't. The one that doesn't is a newer PC with it's own internal DVD drive. The two older workstations have VW installed from an external Sony DVD drive.

Of the two machines that have the problem one is using Quicktime 7.0.3 and the other 7.1.3. The newer machine has 7.0.3 installed.

I look forward to some fine feedback.

Cheers.

PS When I go into the Workspace Editor, drag the framing tool icon out of my workspace, and try to re-insert it back into my workspace, the framing tool does not show up in any list of the tools. Somewhere along the line, the message isn't getting from the Plugins folder to the application front end. (ie there is a break down in between)

Edited by Diamond

25 answers to this question

Not that I am aware of. The only thing that I can think that it might be is a Quicktime conflict. This evening I will un-install QT and see if that helps, unless someone can suggest some other hint to solve this mystery.

Just un-installed and re-installed Quicktime (QT v7.1) from the VW12.5 DVD and no change. Might have to do a total un-install and re-install of QT and VW at the same time.

I have uninstalled and re-installed VW and QT together. No Change.

If any one has any ideas why this one tool won't work then please do, because I am fresh out of ideas - short of performing a clean install of the OS.

Edited by Diamond

Don't re-install the OS -- that isn't the issue. Double-check that you have an Architect or Designer serial number entered. (This is shown in the "About VectorWorks" dialog, under the Help menu.)

Charles

According to the 'About Vectorworks', I have Fundamentals, Architect, and Renderworks installed. The problem seems to be entirely random throughout the office I work in. As an experienced VW user, I am pushed understaning what the problem is. The problem is only with this tool. I have no idea why.

I've got the same problem with this tool... no idea...maybe have to wait next update...

I resolve my problem...install the version 12.0, copy the framing tool into the plugin folder 12.5 and replace it...it work

I'm having the same problem with VW/Architect/RW Mac. Unfortunately, I updated directly from 11.5 to 12.5 so I don't have the 12.0 framing tool to try milon's solution. Any other solutions?

Do you have a class, layer, symbol, viewport, sheet layer, record, etc. that is called "Framing Member" ?

Do you have a class, layer, symbol, viewport, sheet layer, record, etc. that is called "Framing Member" ?

No. Creating a new file and immediately selecting the Framing Member Tool produces the same result.

Are any of you using a workspace created in a version of VW prior to VW 12.5?

No. This is a fresh install on a test machine. There are no previous versions of VW or documents created in previous versions of VW on the computer.

I can't duplicate this to save my life.

I've tried on several different computers, OS's, and QuickTime combinations.

Are you using Architect or Architect classic workspace?

Hm - strange.

Send me an email and I will send you the plugin - we'll try a different approach.

I did - I haven't been able to send the plug-in.

I was training Wed-Fri.

I will send it Monday when I am back in the office.

I have had our national distributor (Julian Carr) email me the plugins required, and this hasn't fixed the problem. Not sure what to do now. Happens on different machines all running the same OS.

And yes I have 3 of our offices serial numbers entered.

Diamond,

I had the same problem, and after a whole lot of frustration and trial-and-error, here's what worked for me:

1. Reinstall the 12.5 Framing Member Tool plugins

2. Remove the extention ".vwobject" from the file "FramingMember.vwobject."

3. Open (a copy of) the Workspace and remove the Framing Member Tool from the Tools Palette.

4. Save the edited workspace and exit the Workspace Editor.

5. Quit then restart VW.

6. Open the edited workspace in the Workspace Editor and add the Framing Member Tool back to the workspace.

McLaugh,

Thanks for your feedback. When you say reinstall, what do you mean? Do you mean reinstalling from the disk, or do you mean having the objects sent to you from your Vectorworks distributor, and put them in the plugins folder?

Cheers.

Diamond,

Since you mentioned that Julian sent you the plug-ins, I assumed you replaced the 12.5 plugins with the ones Julian sent you.

Take the replacement plugins out of the plugins folder and put the original 12.5 plugins back in then proceed with step 2.

(When I tried replacing the 12.5 plugins with the ones NNA sent, I stuck the 12.5 plugins in a folder on the desktop so I could swap them back if the replacement plugins didn't solve the problem (which they didn't).)

Replacing the plugins didi not help, but the 12.5.1 update did. Thanks for your help.