Symbols and Records

Itchy

• 5 weeks later...

I?ve figured out that in order to attach a record to a single symbol entity you have to be in the symbol edit mode and not have the part selected. You then attach the record and type in the info. Then when you insert that symbol and select it, the record info is displayed.

---

That?s all well and good but I?ve come across something that is extremely frustrating. mad.gif

Let?s say I have symbol ?A?, a single symbol entity, with an attached record and it is part of symbol ?B?, a multiple symbol entity made up of separate symbols.

How come if I go in and edit the record of symbol ?A? it DOES NOT update the record of symbol(s) already in symbol ?B?, even if I reinsert "B"?

Is there some type a record update command?

My understanding was that if you modify a symbol at its core you would change all the other same symbols in the drawing.

Why do the records not update?

The only way I?ve found to remedy this is to select the symbols with the old records, replace them with some other symbol and then immediately replace them with what they just were. Then the new records show up.

I hope this all makes sense.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Comjax,

As Petri suggests (hi, Petri, long time no talk!) the records are attached to the INSTANCES of symbols, not their DEFINITIONS. This makes sense, especially when you get into things like "linked text" which allows you to display the attributes (fields) specified by the record that is germane to the individual symbol.

However, you seem to be talking about hierarchical symbols, which is a slightly different topic.

Let's assume a symbol A which is a symbol instance nested within a high-level symbol definition B. If you want to change the record associated with all the "A"s in the "B"s, you can do this by changing the INSTANCE of symbol A in the DEFINITION of B. This works because you are editing records at the instance level. However, ALL records edited at the DEFINITION level are by definition defaults only. This means that going back to your A definition and changing the record-defaults will have no effect, except on future instances of A.

I hope this makes sense. The system works as designed, here.

As Bonnie Raitt said, "You can make me do what you want me to do, but you gotta know how..."

HTH, Robert

Thanks for the response; I guess I just need to be extra sure I'm inputting the correct info when I make the default record.

---

And don't worry about my avatar; I'm just an NRA member and strong supporter of the 2nd amendment.

That gun pictured is what I carry everyday, a Glock 30. It's on my hip right now matter of fact.