Problems with Positions and creating the theatre

Sabrechapp32

Okay...so here is my dilema...I am a grad lighting design student learning vectorworks pretty much on my own...I have the spotlight training cd but it starts with a 3-D theatre. I've been trying to convert the AutoCAD dwg file I got from the scenic designer into a 3-D version so I can pick up where the training CD begins. The problem is that I can't get the theatre to create the right way...I've tried extruding the lines but then i can't get textures to map on anything I was working on. On top of that, I can't get the lighting positions I've created (ie our balcony rail which is an arc since the theatre is a thrust) to have a height so I can use them. And, when I put lights on them, (ie Altman 6x12), the instrument disappeares and I don't know why....I've probably spent 20 hours trying to just figure this out but to no avail...Can anyone help me??? Thank you

I also cannot get my electrics to take a Z height. I vaguely remember something about doing this, but my memory fails me.

Some of your problems with the theatre might be that VW sometimes has issues with imports of certain objects from AC.

Are you putting your electircs on a separate layer?

What platform are you using?

Jim

Objects must have a solid fill to apply a texture.

When objects disappear, it is a class issue. You don't have the proper classes visible. Symbols are a container and the container can have a specific class. The objects inside the container can also have specific classes so even though the container is in a visible class, if the object inside are not, it will not be visible.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Usually disappearing objects are due to class or layer visability. The class of the object and all it's parts must be visable. All the default lighting instrument symbols are created in the "None" class, so if that is turned off you will get a preview of the instrument, but it will vanash as soon as you place it.

Objects need to have some 3D component in order to a Z height. If the geometry for the lighting position or the lighting instrument is 2D only they you will not be able to assign a height.

Kevin,

I tried, by making a line, extruding it to 3" then converting to a lighting position - the line disappears but the position summary box is there??

How come when you convert a line to a lighting position, it just doesn't make it a 3-D object like instruments??

I think this was a discussion a while ago??

Jim

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Converting to an instrument doesn't add 3D or 2D. The symbol you are converting probably already has a 3D and a 2D element. You see the same behavior with all vectorworks objects, if there is 2D and 3D geometry, you will see the 2D only in Top\Plan only all other views you will see 3D only. In the ase of the lighting device and the lighting position, any text makes the object hybrid and will hide the 3D in the 2D view automatically.

Kevin,

I don't understand. I followed the directions in the manual for creating lighting positions.

How do I get a line that I convert to a lighting position, to have 3-D?

You cannot edit a lighting position.

You cannot extrude a line to give it 3-D, and then convert it to a lighting position.

I am totaly baffled

confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This has caused me many headaches as well, but I think I can explain it clearly here (assuming I know what I'm talking about). Make your position as a line. convert it into a symbol, name it "Short Pipe" or whatever you want--when you turn it into a lighting position it will turn into a symbol anyway, and this way if you have a number of positions the same length you'll save yourself some trouble by inserting the same symbol each time instead of making a million lighting position symbols. you can select "leave instance in place" and your line will not disappear when you make it a symbol.

right-click (option-click for mac) the symbol "short pipe" in the resource browser, and select 'edit 2d component'. select all, copy it.

Right click the symbol again and this time select 'edit 3d component'. now you want to 'paste in place' (option-cmd-v for mac, I don't know for pc) the 2d copy of your line on top of the other one. Extrude this line to 1.5" or whatever you want. this will let it show up in any view and will also let you assign a Z value to it.

Convert your position (the symbol, i.e "short pipe") into a lighting position, give it a name, all that. it shouldn't disappear (I just tested it), unless you have some class or layer business going on.

Nice and simple, huh?

Hello BJW and Jim; yes this isn't the simplicity desired. BJW's method is good, except i would suggest NOT assigning a Z value while in the "edit symbol" window if your lighting positions will be at different heights. When i created the lighting positions for SoftSymbols, i followed BJW's methodology, except i extruded a circle (into a tube), rather than a line. yes it would be great if it was easier. bottom line, you have to edit the resource, not the symbol. hth, shelley

Hello Mr. Allen;

I think that an overview of all of the possible pipe lengths can be daunting, and so was set aside. [[shameless sales pitch]] if you want, take a look at softsymbols at the field template web site. the lighting positions object library includes booms, curved pipe, straight pipe, deck plates, and ladders. the straight pipe includes 5', 10', 15', 21', 30', 42', 50', and 63' long pipe. [[/shameless sales pitch]].

hth,

shelley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil; sorry i've not checked in lately. just saw your post. i don't understand what you're saying. what i'm **guessing** that you are saying, is: you have created a hybrid object which you're calling a pipe, which you created in 3D as an extruded circle. you have assigned it a z height of 10', but it is showing you in the vertical scale on the side of the document that the pips is actually at a 30' z height. so far so good? your locus point comment loses me completely though....

shelley