Graphics Card for Mac Pro

willofmaine

Thanks Christiaan,

I called NNA tech support, and they suggested that upgrading to the X1900 wouldn't make that much of a difference. But I know so little about it, that I may have presented my question poorly! He did mention something about Rosetta, though how that relates to the graphics card I'm not sure. But your link to Apple was certainly informative, and in that context the X1900 looks like the way to go... Decisions, decisions.... anyway, thanks! Will

http://www.interiorcad.com/weblog/support/archives/003341.html

The title of this is "Graphics cards for photorealistic rendering" when it should be "Graphics cards for OpenGL rendering". If you are using Renderworks which uses the processor and not the Graphics card, most of the advise on graphics cards does not apply. IMHO if you are not relying on OpenGL, the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 is more than enough.

Okay, well that is all very interesting, indeed... Explains why my Open GL suddenly started working properly when I updated my PC's graphics card, and it seems consistent with NNA's recommendation that the graphics card won't make much of a difference when 'rendering,' if he'd assumed I'd meant Renderworks. My understanding is that the OpenGL is just a quick, cursory form of rendering, to preview things & work in 3D (where it seems to continuously update), before doing final renderings with Renderworks... so, aren't we all relying on Open GL, at least to that extent?... Thanks!