HELP : Trouble Opening a File on VW 12

BDesign

Our firm has VW 12 on OS 10.4.7

I have one specific file, even though it was created in VW 12 it refuses to open and i get this error message saying that is an older version of the file. It then proceeds to give me this error message:

"This is an unrecognized file. It may be a Vectorworks file created by a newer version of the applications, it may be a very old MiniCAD file, it may have been created by another application, or it may have been corrupted by a hardware or system error."

Is there any way to recover this file? It is vital!

Thanks for any help.

B

Edited by BDesign
  • 8 months later...

The same problem mentionned above occured to me yesterday and today again, I am really upset...I can't open the file, I have the same error message sayin that's an unrecognized file. And this file weights 0KB for no reason.

Did you find any reason for this bug ? How can I recover this file ?

Would the fact that I insert some symbol in my model that were created on older version of VW can be a reason ? I use mac osx 10.4.9 and VW 12.5.1

Thank you for your help.

You can download a patch to this problem:

http://download2.nemetschek.net/seed/VW69163b.zip

--------------------------------------------------

For those of you who need immediate relief from the zero K file corruption problem, you can download a beta version of the VectorWorks application that fixes the problem.

To use this new application, please follow these steps:

1. Rename the VectorWorks application that is currently in your 12.5.1 VectorWorks folder from ?VectorWorks? to ?VectorWorks ? orig?

2a. If you are using a non-dongled version of VectorWorks, download the following file: http://download2.nemetschek.net/seed/VW69163.zip

(Use this file if you don't know what a dongle is.)

2b. If you are using a dongled version of VectorWorks, download the following file: http://download2.nemetschek.net/seed/VW69163b.zip

3. Unzip the file to get the new VectorWorks application.

4. Drop the new VectorWorks application into your 12.5.1 VectorWorks folder.

Please let us know if you see any evidence that this new application does not completely fix the zero K file corruption problem.

I've had an issue where I was building a symbol library and after 40 to 50 symbols, and saving every 3-5 minutes, the file saved at 0k. and all was lost. I was pissed. save.....good, save.....good, save......good, save......not good..... don't know if that helps, but thought it was relevant.