Danger: Do Not Install VW 12.5 over the Internet

compusam

Question

Here is the problem: Based on numerous posts, the internet updater for VW 12.5 does not work for A LOT OF PEOPLE (even with high speed internet), and it may destroy your 12.0.1 version on your hard drive (as it did mine) forcing you to reinstall VW 12.0.0 from your CD's, however, Nemetschek has pulled the 12.0.1 updater from their website so you are stuck with version 12.0.0. (The 12.0.1 installer is no longer available and the 12.0.1 installer which you may have saved when you downloaded it several months ago is no longer supported and will not function).

In my case, I have work in progress with hidden line elevations which will not render correctly with VW 12.0 so I am stuck until my VW 12.5 DVD arrives, hopefully in a few days.

So here is the bottom line: VW 12.5 update (internet installer) may ruin your fully functioning VW 12.0.1 installation and there is no way to get it back (this seems to be almost diabolical). The VW 12.5 DVD is not very expensive ($9.95 for VW 12 users), so order the DVD and be patient for a few more days. After all, we have been waiting for numerous bug fixes for many months, so what are a "few more days?"

The scary thing is that a reasonably functioning version (12.0.1) can no longer be created on your computer and, what if version 12.5 is not a reasonably functioning version? Well, then we will have to go back to version 12.0 or 11.5!

OK, I admit it, VW 12 is fantastic (buggy, but fantastic). I have created a work flow based on VW 12.0.1, but now, I have lost some of the capabilities of VW 12.0.1 which will cause loss of revenue, embarrassment, and missed schedules until VW 12.5 arrives (assuming it works at least as well).

I think Nemetschek should put the 12.0.1 updater back on their website until users have had a chance to successfully upgrade to 12.5 and try it out.

19 answers to this question

Let's be careful with how we position the word "Alot" here.

It's a relative term that has little value when positioned next to an unknown number of downloads.

We've had thousands and thousands of sucessful downloads around the world. The small population here and that have emailed/called tech support have brought a few issues to our attention that we are currently working on addressing. However, I don't think the number of unsucessful updates constitutes the word "alot", relatively speaking - especially when most of the cases are resolved with a second download.

You can get 12 0 1 installation disk using the same method you are using to get the 12.5 disks.

The engineers are currently evaluating the situation of the 12 0 1 updater.

Unfortunately, due to newer technologies available, a new 12 0 1 installer will need to be created - which may take some time to fully create and test.

I think once you get 12.5, you'll be happy you were patient. I've received a number of positive emails/phone calls about the stability, responsiveness, bug fixes, and incredible new features 12.5 offers.

Katie,

I stand by my comments. I have downloaded the VW 12.5 installer 5 times and attempted to upgrade 10 times on 2 different computers with DSL and cable modem broadband connections. The most recent attempt continued for 8 hours without results, one continued for 16 hours (overnight) without results.

As I said, I have ordered the DVD, and I am optimistic, but concerned.

Well, finally after 3 days, the 12.5 update performed and I now have a functioning VW 12.5 version installed. I do not know how anyone could do this with dial-up. The 300 mb updater alone took almost 2 hours to download with DSL (shorter time with cable-modem).

I have not experienced anything longer than about 10 minutes download time with previous updates. I reiterate my request that VW 12.0.1 update be made available again for download in the event that the 12.5 update corrupts a functioning 12. 0.1 installation and/or if the VW 12.5 installation proves to be flawed for some unforeseen cdircumstances.

My point is that less than 3% of all worldwide downloads have experienced a problem.

Don't you mean less than 3% have reported a problem? There may well be many more having problems but they simply haven't reported it. It could be a substantial number. Often forums like these are an indication of wider problems, and I don't recall there being this many problems with a VW installer being reported on the forum.

As long as there's still an internet connection, we are notified. A connection error inside the installer does not necessarily prevent the error log from being sent to us.

It's similiar to sending Microsoft an error message with the "Sent Now" type of button.

At any rate, I suspect, even if a problem is not reported, the population of people having problems with the updater that are not reporting the problems is very small. I would have a hard time believing that there are 500+ people out there having problems that are not reporting them either here, to their distributor, or to us directly.

I'm here to try to address issues, and ensure the correct information is being populated on this site.

WOOH? I've been in my neck of the wood for a while, and only realize today that the so much awaited 12.5 is there! I jumped of happyness, and started to download it straight on. Meantime i'm reading the post; trying to catch up! Is this problem still up to date; should I order the dvd rather than updating over the net?

Perhaps this is the wrong page to post this on...but I just successfully downloaded and installed 12.5 and now I can't get VW to recognize files exported from Lightwright. Is this a 12.5 issue or just something screwy with my program? 'cause either way I have to fix it FAST.

I have to say that I tried the update, and was met by a wildly colored spinning ball that went on and on. After I woke up, I tried again, suffered another spinning ball, and then, gave up. I did not report the problem because after looking over the posts, I came to realize that someone had already complained about 12.5 reverting to line weight behavior that was a bug in 12.0, but fixed in 12.0.1, only to be a problem again. So I'll wait for (hope for) an update to the update.

The updater has to communicate with a server at NNA, in order to validate the serial number. This communication is logged on the server. If the update is successful, another message is sent to NNA to that effect. If there is a failure, another message is sent, and the error information is emailed to me. All of this communication is either on port 80 or 25. The only information that is transferred is information directly pertaining to the installation of VW. Assuming an internet connection is present, the only apps that I've seen that have blocked this communication have been firewall and anti-virus apps on Windows. So long as port 80 is open to background processes, the update will proceed. So long as port 25 is open, I'll get an email if it fails.

Charles