Install fails, then wipes out V 12.1

TomG

Question

I attempted to install V. 12.5 today (Mac OS 10.4.7, G4) and all went well until an automatic attempt was made by the installer to connect to the internet. (This is a machine that has a slow dialup connection which is rarely turned on). Failure to connect to the NNA website (something about a lack of "socket") caused the install to overwrite VW V 12.1 but NOT restore it after the failing to connect to the internet. Thus, I am spending my morning reinstalling VW 12.00, then downloading and installing 12.1. Overwriting was explained in the Read Me but no there was no suggestion that an internet connection was essential or that the original VW was at risk.

5 answers to this question

Step 2 on the Download Page states:

"Quit all other applications, except your web browser, and then download the Updater. Note- you must remain connected to the internet when you run the updater, as it will download support files as part of the update process. Because of this, users behind proxy servers or very restrictive firewalls may experience problems. If you continue to experience difficulty, we recommend that you order 12.5 on DVD because the DVD does not require an internet connection."

You will probably have to request a DVD Installer Disc from your retailer. However,they don't make it clear if the DVD requires an Internet connection to install.

George

My point remains; at no time was there a warning about overwriting if not connected to the internet, either on the website or in the installer. The updater sat for several days prior to my activating it and so the second caution you mention was long gone from memory.

I'm not blaming you, the Internet connection should have been made more obvious (I almost missed it too). How did you manage to download the installer via dial-up? My file was huge. I suggested the DVD because Katie mentioned on another thread that using a dial-up connection would probably result in a "timeout" problem.

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthrea...age=0#Post65815

"If you are using an internet connection other than a high-speed -- DSL, Cable, T1, etc, the installer is likely to time out due to slow-speed connection reliability issues.

Alternatively, if you just can't get the updater to work, contact Customer Service or your local distributor for an installation DVD.

Please keep in mind the updater is making a copy of the folder and updating the folder. The install, depending on the product, may take a while. We've also added thousands new library items that account for a large amount of disk space that do take time to copy/install."

George