Snapping to Hybrid Objects/Symbols

willofmaine

Is it not possible to snap to the 3D components of hybrid symbols and/or hybrid objects? For example, I have a floor object that is a deck on the side of a building. I wanted to snap a nurbs curve (or 3D polygon) to three of it's four edges to use as the path for a gutter/deck edge profile, but when I try to snap my lines go way off the screen, snapping to nothing that I can identify, even when switching to a plan or top view... In Snap to Objects I have "Snap to Edges" selected. VW 12.0.1. Thanks!

I have no trouble snapping to floors or hybrid symbols in 3d views.

I'm not sure what you mean by "in snap to objects I have snap to edges selected." You need to select "Snap to Objects" in the constraints palette to snap to corners of a 3d object (keyboard shortcut "Q" to toggle this constraint - it's the second one down in the constraints palette). No other constraint or set of constraints will work. If you only have "Snap to Edges" activated, you won't be able to snap to 3d corners. "Snap to Edges" is for 2d only, by the way.

All this talk of snapping lately! ;-)

Pete,

Snap to objects has an option to snap to edge points which is a 3d function. For some reason it is defaulted to off. (??)

Willberg,

I've seen this behavior before occasionally but never been able to reproduce it. Restarting VW has always fixed it for me.

BTW, do you have the Tangent snap turned on? I've seen that cause some "unexpected" behaviour sometimes.

HTH

N.

Nicholas, thanks, I've never used that option. Now I can confirm the problem. With edge point snapping enabled,

1) you can get a nurbs curve to snap to vertices but not edges of a floor, and

2)you cannot get it to snap to any point on a 3d symbol (hybrid or otherwise) created from an extrude.

With edge point snapping disabled, you can snap to vertices of 3d symbols, but not, obviously, to edge points.

I think 2) is a bug, but 1) probably has to do with the nature of the floor object, which converts to a group of 3d polys, and it does not appear that we can snap to the edges of 3d polys in general.

Since this is 12.0.1, we should probably try this out in 12.5 before reporting the bug. My 12.5 CD is in the mail - couldn't get it to install by download, plus it's an enormous file anyway.

As a workaround for the problem at hand, if you are working with a 3d symbol, "convert to group" (and ungroup if necessary) to get snapping to work. For floors, you can snap to vertices, and you can add vertices to the sides of the source polygon using the reshape tool. These colinear vertices will become snappable points in the floor object

Thanks Pete and Nicholas for your most helpful responses! Turning off the "Snap To Edges" constraint indeed did the trick. But I'm left thinking you can either snap nurbs to corners of 3D objects, or snap other items to edges/centers of 3D objects, but that you can't snap nurbs to edges/centers of 3D objects... Though like you say, maybe a bug resolved in 12.5...

But NOW that I can snap to 3D objects, I've found that in creating a solid, if I snap an extrude to an existing extrude, I get an extrude, but if I snap an extrude to an extrude that is a symbol, I get a mesh! But maybe this is another topic, and I've yet to learning anything about meshes, so maybe I should do that next...

Thanks! Will