How to create rotated dimension?

I must be overlooking something basic here...

Is there a way to create a rotated dimension in Vectorworks?

In Autocad, you specify the rotation angle after you have picked the start point and end point of the dimension. Autocad creates a constrained dimension at the angle that was input.

It seems like Vectorworks only allows the constrained dimension to be horizontal or vertical. If you rotate the dimension, it appears to become unconstrained.

Is there some setting or preference that I need to change?

I'm guessing you want the dimension to remain constrained to the angle you set after the dimension is created? Because if you use the fields across the top of the drawing, tabbing over to "A:", you can enter the desired angle and hit enter/return. If you then want to stretch or shrink the dimension, hold down the shift key; this should keep the angle constant.

HTH,

-hfv

You can lock the angle by:

"Set Grid" to the angle that you want and then use the "constrained" dimension tool. Even after the grid is rotated to normal, the dimension will remain locked to the original angle.

It's a bit cumbersome, but I've found that the "set grid" command is so often used for a variety of tasks that I've added it to my pet palette.

You can lock the angle by:

"Set Grid" to the angle that you want and then use the "constrained" dimension tool. Even after the grid is rotated to normal, the dimension will remain locked to the original angle.

It's a bit cumbersome, but I've found that the "set grid" command is so often used for a variety of tasks that I've added it to my pet palette.

Matthew,

That does the trick. In my case, I set the grid angle by using the "Next Mouse Drag" option, and I'm off to the races. That one is worth putting in my toolbox. Thanks!