12.5 hangs up at finish

cubecube

Question

On a G4 PowerMac (non-intel) using the 12.5 update it hangs up at finishing. It gets to 0 items to install then says finishing. I get a bouncing icon in the DOCK (extract files) and in the Force Quit is says EXTRACT FILES not responding and UPDATE VECTORWORKS not responding. I have to force quit to stop the hangup.

23 answers to this question

When going thru the install wizard, select "NO" to check for updates once the installation is complete.

If you select "YES", then when the installer gets to a specific point, i think it's around 89%, an OK box will pop up. Sometimes this OK box is behind the installer box. You will need to move the box out of the way to see the OK box and click OK to complete the installer.

If you are using an internet connection other than a high-speed -- DSL, Cable, T1, etc, the installer is likely to time out due to slow-speed connection reliability issues.

Alternatively, if you just can't get the updater to work, contact Customer Service or your local distributor for an installation DVD.

Please keep in mind the updater is making a copy of the folder and updating the folder. The install, depending on the product, may take a while. We've also added thousands new library items that account for a large amount of disk space that do take time to copy/install.

Conclusion: the updater file has major problems. I disabled sleep and after 90 minutes, it was really and truly crashed. (Mac OS 10.4.7).

Console log says:

rm: /Users/myname/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/NNAInstaller12/ExpanderConfigMac.txt: No such file or directory

rm: /Users/myname/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/NNAInstaller12/*.zip: No such file or directory

rmdir: /Users/myname/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/NNAInstaller12: Directory not empty

Checked for OK box, nothing (impossible to move window once updater crashes)

Edited by Luciole Design

Doesn't work for me. The systems tells me that the installer and the extract are not responding. The only way out is force quit. I moved the installer window to my second monitor before it crashed and I never saw the second dialog box. I have 3000kbs download and I left it for an hour just to see. Nothing.

Aside from disabling sleep, have you disabled the hard drive sleep mode?

At what point in the installation (percentage or specific install window) do you see the error message?

Have you tried to re-download the installer and rerun it?

The application is still 12.0.1. All of the temporary items are still in /Users/myname/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems. The "Parts" folder is empty, and there are no uncompressed files, i.e. only the two .zip files are in the folder. I would guess that the installer should move/delete the temp files once VW has been updated.

It seems that it's not "installation completed", but "zip files copied" completed.

I also tried cleaning all caches, repairing disk permissions, etc. None of this worked. No other programs were running, and the hard drive was set to never sleep. Internet connection is DSL, always on and working fine during install.

I also tried unzipping the files and putting them in the parts folder, but the installer still crashes at the same point and never gets to where it can find the files and install them.

Edited by Luciole Design

If you aren't getting an error message on the screen, it's likely something is still going on. Checking the task manager may not be effective as the case that an operation may be taking place and can't report to task manager that it's still thinking. A default message by windows displays with not responding.

Until you get an error message, we can't say the installer crashed. How long do you let the box sit when it gets to this point?

If you have designer, you may need to wait longer as well as depending on the transfer speed of your modem in addition to the number of other people connected.

I see two options for you (rather than doing this back and forth)

1. Wait longer for the installer to complete

2. Request an installation disk