Chain dimension

Ken

Arch.Ken

- If you have your associative dimensioning turned on then the dimension will update to moves of the associated element.

- You can Decompose a dimension string into its individual dimensions, and conversely you can Compose individual dimensions into a string.

I like this new single string capability, and being able to add or delete dimensions by right clicking on the dimension line. It is a big improvement.

You should be able to right click on the one chain and select Edit Dimension to make appropriate changes.

If there's something specific that is not working when you use this path, please include that in your post.

Previous to 12.5 I did not have to go through those extra steps of decomposing/recomposing. Deleting pieces was much quicker. What's the advantage of keeping them as a single entity? We can always use SelectObj(((C='Dimension') & (T=Dimension))) for global editing.

Is this a new feature or a new bug? Feels like a bug. It slows me down.

I see how to delete a witness line instead of a dimension, but it still does NOT do what I want, which is to leave the other dimensions untouched.

deletewitnessdn4.gif

How to delete just one "dimension?"

Edited by Arch.Ken

The whole Chain Dimensioning tool was rehauled for 12.5 to have it create true chain dimensions.

The problem prior to 12.5 is that the "chain dimension" created a series of dimensions, but they were not linked or "chained" together.

This presented alot of work in the event that the text line of the chain dimension needed to be moved. Moving each of the individual dimension items was ALOT of work. Now, as you move one line, the rest move with them. In addition, the chain dim tool is associative, so as you push and pull on items linked to the chain, the dimensions also update appropriately.

In short - yes, it's a new option for Chain Dims.

You may find that, in most cases - especially with exterior building dimensions - the new mode saves a ton of time.

As I look more into it, you're absolutely right. The added benefits outweigh my tiny little burden (of having to click on that mode button each time). But I must say that I've already developed the old drafting temperament (from pencil-and-paper days) of *composing* my dimensions, mentally and using guidelines, to avoid such pushing and pulling and realigning after they're drawn.

Now with the new capabilities you describe, it's all too easy to modify afterwards!

Kudos to Katie and NNA! laugh.gif

I wish I could take credit for doing the work of the Chain Dim tool, but that thanks goes to Ian. I'll be sure to pass it forward.

I showed this at a user group event last Thursday and this feature got the most praise.

I wish I could take credit for doing the work of the Chain Dim tool, but that thanks goes to Ian...

No kidding!? Then please forward a request to Ian to create a Vectorscript procedure to control the mode buttons. I would like to include it in the script I use to set my defaults upon launch. All these new mode buttons, while nice, are getting unwieldy.

• 3 weeks later...
You may find that, in most cases - especially with exterior building dimensions - the new mode saves a ton of time.

Unless you ever have to revise parts or all of your drawing by moving or flipping (which is all the time, in my case), otherwise it's great.