Creating scrim/RP screens

jarjones

What is the best way to create a scrim or Rp effect in spotlight? Ideally I'd like to show the scrim lit from front (opaque) and from behind (transparent)

RP screens seem easier: Make a rectangle, set its transparency and reflectivity to a certain amount and add backlight. Does anyone have settings that work for this effect?

Thanks,

Jeff A.R. Jones

• 2 months later...

With the rp screen, I'm looking to have it afected by light. I work for a dance company and we regularly backlight an rp as our cyclorama and occasionally to cast shadows of dancers onto the upstage side of the rp. Any suggestions for settings for something like that?

Thanks.

Jeff A.R. Jones

• 3 weeks later...

I tried that, but couldn't tell which way the settings affected the outcome. I played with the settings somewhat at random, but never got a result I liked, ie, a painted scrim going transparent when backlit. I also tried using translucency settings for a piece that was going to have shadows cast on it from behind (without becoming transparent), but couldn't get what I was looking for there either.

the scrim file I sent you should work just like a real world scrim. Keep in mind that because you're actually lighting through little holes you'll need to up your lighting intensity significantly, as well as keep light off of the front of the scrim. Real world stuff.

• 2 years later...