VW12.5-plug-in doors and windows

doug shaffer

Hello again-

I am having trouble with plug-in doors and windows in an existing (created before VW12.5) file. When I edit them, all of their components automatically go to whatever the attributes (in the attributes pallette) for the object are. For example, if I change the width of the window, the width changes, but all of the line weights change to one weight. In this case, "Use Part Line Styles" does not override. As a test, using the same file, I tried creating a new wall and placed a new window and new door in them; I got the same result.

When creating doors and windows in an entirely new file (created in VW12.5), the tool works as designed, as far as I can tell. (Thank goodness!)

Is there a way to make plug-in doors and windows work properly in existing files? The original file was created in version 11.5, but was converted to 12.0.1 shortly after its release (about 8 months ago).

I was about to post the same observation.

I have found that switching the line weight to zero, then to the thinest line setting, the "part line styles" then work. It seems it also has something to do with the set line weight to class style in the attribute palette.

hope that helps

dcont -

Based on your tip, I think I've figured out a work-around that is time consuming, but would let us continue working with the file. Here's what I do:

1. select door or window

2. double click to open settings

3. push OK button

4. change "pen style" to "none" using attributes palette

5. change "line style" to something other than 0.00 (we use .13mm) to make door jambs appear correctly

That's it.

We are using Macintosh computers, G5 and Intel - all show same behavior.

Thanks again -

FYI

Here's a message that I received from Nemetschek regarding this problem:

<Hi Doug,

So this is a bug, more like my indiscretion. I am changing the detail line styles to the class pen styles, when I should be only changing the cut lines. I will enter a bug for this. Sorry for the inconvenience. And you are correct the only way around this at the moment is to not use pen styles by class for doors and windows at this time.>

Some additional info:

Class line wt (use at creation) now overrides "use part line styles." This is true of new VW 12.5 docs as well.

If you want to have doors in a door class (to give PIO color, fill, etc at creation) then you have to pick a line wt. that will always override the "part line styles." The work around (read: short term bug fix) is to select PIO give it a zero line wt (which only controls the line at "shim space") then set to another value.

A lot of the door elements that should have worked in 12.0.1 now *do* work! Thanks! Frustrating that these little things get in the way of feeling joy for all the other fixes.

Another "new" issue: new sidelite control allows for depth of mull...great. But the Jamb Part Line Style seems to control the "sill" wt. a lot like the Window PIO in 12.0.0 before it was fixed in 12.0.1. (By sill I actually mean the line viewed in plan at the edge of the mullion "frame"--not the Wall Line or Threshold).

cheers, mmm

Another "new" issue: new sidelite control allows for depth of mull...great. But the Jamb Part Line Style seems to control the "sill" wt. a lot like the Window PIO in 12.0.0 before it was fixed in 12.0.1. (By sill I actually mean the line viewed in plan at the edge of the mullion "frame"--not the Wall Line or Threshold).

I can confirm this also. Please fix, NNA.

Thanks -

Thanks -

Are you asking for a seperate 2D line style for the threshold? Should 2D mullions take on this line style or should they too have their own line styles?

it also seems to have a bug when you change the line weight in "use part line styles" the line type changes to a random dash.

this is a major screw-up if you care how the doors appear.

please fix it pronto!!

I'm not sure I know what you are saying here. Can you elaborate? Which line weight are you changing? Which lines turn to dashes?

...But the Jamb Part Line Style seems to control the "sill" wt. a lot like the Window PIO in 12.0.0 before it was fixed in 12.0.1. (By sill I actually mean the line viewed in plan at the edge of the mullion "frame"--not the Wall Line or Threshold).

Arrgh! spoke too soon. Speinding a little more time with the upgrade, I can confirm that all PIO windows have the "sill" controlled by the Jamb line style. Frustrating that something that was broken in 12.0.0 and fixed in 12.0.1 is now broken in 12.5.0.

Are you asking for a seperate 2D line style for the threshold? Should 2D mullions take on this line style or should they too have their own line styles?

What (mostly*) worked in 12.0.1 is fine, ie, Jamb line style controlled wt from wall (or trim) to sash and is independent of "sill" weight. Note: "sill" as used here is not Stool or Sill in Parts dialog but rather the edge of window frame (in absence of Sill Part). Clear? Mullion should have same wt as Jamb line style. Don't necessarily need additional control over this "sill" as long as this edge (and the edge of sash in distance) is a light line, as it was in prior PIO.

*there was an issue where the PIO window mullion would not pick up the Jamb line Style.

mmm

I'm not sure I know what you are saying here. Can you elaborate? Which line weight are you changing? Which lines turn to dashes?

dave,

i've actually unistalled 12.5 because i didn't want to bugger up existing drawings, so i can't recreate it right now.

but what was happening was when selecting a part in "part line styles", for instance i like the 'swing' very thin, i select 'swing', select pen thickness, and when the pen thickness is changed, the line style also changes, i seem to think, completely randomly, in that it didn't change to the same dashed line style every time... < i didn't want a dashed line, if that needs to be added> and it did it regardless of the part of the door selected. and no my keyboard isn't stuck + the mouse works fine.

i'll try a 12.5 re-install tonight in a temp folder to recreate it.

this is a real pain as my plans have a lot of doors, and the thought of re-editing every door is not terribly appealing!

dave,

just reinstalled + confirm that when changing the line weight on a part of a door in the "use part line styles" palette, the 'part' in question changes weight as chosen, but also changes line style, in my case to the 4th style up from the bottom <11th style down from the top>. it has to be manually changed back to a solid line, but if you change the weight again it will change style again.

as noted in earlier posts you can only see the "part line style" effects if the line style/weight is first set to 'none' in the attributes palette. otherwise all lines in the door are the same weight, regardless of class default settings.

it is not a mouse or keyboard issue as using the normal attribute palette works fine.

I can't seem to duplicate Gideon's problem on my machines.

My workaround for the sill linewt is to create windows with "Timber Sill" with a small enough Sill and Stool that they don't show up in Plan View (can control wt with Part Line Style). Great for new drawings, but without global control over windows and doors, revamping each wnd/dr on even modestly complex projects is way too much work.

Looks like I'm back to 12.0.1 for a while frown.gif

Too bad cause so many thing work better: general speeds and render times, assoc dims in VPs, chain dims, nav pallette, dup array, wnd/dr options, among other things that I've only started to explore.

Lets hope for a speedy maintenance release!

cheers, mmm

p.s. when transitioning from 11.5 to 12 I left my old jobs in 11 and ran both versions side by side. Can't do that with 12 and 12.5 due to no re-naming within major upgrades.

• 1 month later...

my problem is part sorted...

i saw a post re a "stealth" 12.5.x update,

i.e. there are different versions of 12.5

builds 60762 to 61447,

i had downloaded 12.5 within a day or

two of it being announced and had the 1st one.

just downloaded the current version of 12.5 +

the issue of weird linestyles mentioned above

is no longer a problem for me...

the fact that the "part line styles" still

doesn't work properly is still very irritating