Spotlight Format errors

Legrand

Hi,

I have installed VectorWorks 11.01 with Spotlight and am having an odd error occur. A specific client has sent me 2 files from his installation of VW11, no Spotlight. Both of those files cause the similar behaviors on my machine. This error does not appear when I start from blank documents, Spotlight template documents or imported DXF/DWG documents.

I get the following error in various forms, depending on what Spotlight tool I am trying to use:

An attempt to define a Plug-in Object named ?Lighting Device? failed because Format with that name already exists in the current document. The entire operation is cancelled.

I open the first file, add my layers and define my classes. I then place my lighting truss using the Straight Truss tool. Then I go to convert the truss to a Lighting Position. VW throws an error. I try to add a fixture with the Inst Insertion Tool, VW throws an error. Then I go to Define/Convert > Convert To Instrument - a fixture symbol to an Instrument, VW throws an error. I try to add an accessory with the Accessory Insertion Tool, VW throws an error. I go to use Label Legend Manager and VW throws the error, THEN opens the Label Legend Manager dialog box.

I open the second file, add my layers and define my classes. I then place my lighting truss using the Straight Truss tool. Then I go to convert the truss to a Lighting Position. It works. I try to add a fixture with the Inst Insertion Tool, VW throws an error. I go to use Label Legend Manager and VW throws the error, THEN opens the Label Legend Manager dialog box.

I?m guessing here: Is there a way to reset/clear formats in an incoming file to allow Spotlight formats to be added to it?

Thanks for any insight here.

Chris

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Chris,

The imported file an object or a record format that is the same as the Vectorworks object names. Before you insert a lighting device, look at the names of the record formats and symbols in the resource browser, also look at the layer and class names. Look for Lighting Device or Lighting Position, then delete them.

If you don't find any use custom selection to look for an object named Lighting Device or Lighting Position.

The Label Legend Manager, Convert to Instrument and Accessory Insertion Tool, are all failing for the same reason, the name conflect with "Lighting Device".

If you don't find it let me know and I can post a script that should allow you to find and delete the name.

Kevin,

I have examined the file and cannot find any reference to Lighting Device or a format with that name in the file. With the exception of course in the Vectorscript Plug-In Editor where the plug-in exists. I checked Layers, Classes, Symbols and Record formats. (There are no record formats at all in the incoming file.)

Custom Selection did not find anything either. In fact, doing a Custom Selection with the criteria NAME contains light caused VW to crash. (The same search on a blank document produced no discernible result at all.)

I am running VW 11.0.1 Industry Collection on a Mac Powerbook G4 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM with additional 21" monitor attached. I have re-installed VW11.0.1 just to make sure the app was not corrupted. There appears to be no new updates to upgrade my installation.

The file in question is available as a compressed SITX file at my download site:

SJS_BS_12705.mcd.sitx

You mentioned a script might be able to clean out any references to Lighting Device?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

edit to fix file URL - cl

[ 02-04-2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Legrand ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Chris,

I downloaded the file and it works for me (on Windows). I'll look at it some more and try it on the Mac. Where are you getting the instrument symbols from? Only other thing I can think of right now is that another record is coming in with the symbol?

Kevin

Kevin,

I have installed VW 11.0.1 on my desktop Mac and I have no problem with the file at all.

When I re-installed on my laptop, I overwrote my current installation of VW11.0.1, which made the installer produce a second VectorWorks 11.0.1 directory and renamed my previous directory to VectorWorks 11.0.1 OLD - I had hoped this would suffice - but apparently not. I am currently re-installing again on my laptop, but this time I have placed all copies of VW in the trash and have also grabbed any VW pref files I could find there as well.

Is it possible that a pref file got trashed and corrupted my Spotlight scripts?

Chris