why do symbols have class attributes??

I don?t get why a symbol has a class attribute. Isn?t it sufficient that the content of the symbol had the neccesary class attributes?

The problem is that if a symbol is placed on a class that is hided, none of the content will show even though their classes are shown.

I experience that symbols often places in arbitrary classes in quick drawing processes. And even if I think about it carefully I am generally in doubt about in which classes to put the symbols.

It causes so much chaos in my drawings that the symbols get placed in classes. How are people managing the insertion class of a symbol.

Now I was thinking about having all symbols in one class. So that I allways can have that shown. So I can show and hide the other classes.

By the way is there any possibility to select more than one symbol inserted in walls at a time? I haven?t found a way and I would be so thankfull if somebody could tell me how.

best regards

I like that symbols have class attributes separate from the elements contained. This allows me to turn on/off certain elements or the whole symbol from a Viewport.

We have a standard "General" class that is used for everything that doesn't seem to belong to another class. It's always on in every view and every viewport. It's usually the default class in Saved Views. This is where I would put a symbol that fit your description. Since it's the default class, the symbol would most often end up with this class assignment anyway.

Finally, there is no way to multiple-select symbols or plug-ins that are inserted in a wall.

Good luck,

Every object is by default a member of at least one class. It's entirely possible to assign every object to the C='None' , then assign different attributes to the various object elements.

The Class structure provides control of Sets of Attribute assignments. Therefore assignment of a Class may also include the attributes of the Class if so desired. The number of connections between the Classes & the attributes is (N^2-N)/2. Two Classes with 4 attributes each have 45 possible connections. Now add to this the ability to Group, off/on & Show/Hide ... Symbols & ViewPorts ...

Strict Rules & Protocols for the assignment of Classes & Attributes are the best way to control the confusion and chaos, but even then manipulating a complex drawing can be like herding cats downhill in a windstorm.