Turn Saved Sheets into Saved Views

Kadayi

Question

5 answers to this question

I'm curious what exactly you're after. Perhaps you could elaborate? Since a "Sheet" can be made up of multiple viewports, I don't know how you could turn them all into a saved view simultaneously.

If you double click a viewport on a sheet, it will take you to a dialog which will allow you to activate the design layers which are displayed in the viewport.

Another possible resource is: < http://www.panzercad.com/ >

They provide an add-on (for a modest fee) that allows you to create views from viewports and vice versa.

In the case that a Sheet is made up of one viewport (IE the whole page) I'd like to be able to convert it to a saved view. Generally in my office I find people use sheets rather than views because they can store the printer settings in the file. However sheets are not ideal when it comes to editting the layers within them.

Kadayi,

I think I understand what you're asking for. If you double click the sheet viewport - it will ask you whether you want to edit the crop, annotation, or design layers. Select the "design layers" option. It will then warp you magically to those design layers in the same configuration as they are displayed in the viewport (this is exactly what the "saved views" does as well). Once you have come out of the magical warp and are in the "design layers" you can simply save that configuration as a "saved view" by right clicking in the "views" part of the Navigation palette and selecting "New" or by selecting "Save View" under the Views menu. You will then have what you're looking for.

As an aside, I find double clicking the viewport and going to the design layers easier. That way, I'm not maintaining both the Saved Views and the Viewport configurations as the drawing evolves. If you have a huge number of viewports that you want to convert to Saved Views - then the PanzerCad add-on is the way to go.

(Thanks for the teamwork Ray)

The advantage to Saved Views is the preset class and layer parameters. While viewports have a lot of class and layer flexibility, the Sheet Layers itself doesn't remember default "views" (ie- moving from a Design Layer in a "structural" Class in active only mode, to a Sheet layer with nothing in that Class...huh? where are my images?)

For this reason, my office protocall now says all VPs and items/object directly on a Sheet Layer are given the none class (which is usually on).

cheers, mmm