Fill Tool like 'Live paint'

Kadayi

Question

22 answers to this question

Have a look at live paint in illustrator CS2, you'll understand what I mean. I'm not on about connecting existing lines, more creating new shapes from the spaces in between them.

Sure I can copy the lines I want to a new layer, then trim them down and compose them to create the shape I want, but how much easier would it be to have a tool that creates those shapes for you by filling the space between lines.

The Combine Into Surface tool does exactly what you say you want, as Exocubic pointed out in the first reply. It's been around since at least version 8.

It doesn't convert the selected objects into a surface. It creates a new surface object by filling the space you click inside. Any object not selected at the time you issue the command is ignored.

I find that command gives way inconsistent results. it only works well when there is a clean edge and hardly ever recognises splines. When we finally get upgraded I'll try out the poloygon tool that Mike mentions. Thx for input anyhows.

Edited by kadayi
I find that command gives way inconsistent results. it only works well when there is a clean edge and hardly ever recognises splines.

Yes.

Also has problems with arcs. You may need to fill unfilled objects to get them to be recognised. Sometimes it just wont work.

It is much more reliable in 12, but will still fail with polylines sometimes, as will the polygon tool options. It sometimes will not recognise objects whose ends touch but don't overlap.:-(

Edited by propstuff

Hmm, sounds like this V12 tool doesn't do what I want either. I'm often working with several layers (whose structure I want to maintain) but I often want to highight parts of these by putting a tone underneath that conforms to the shape of elements and intersections. A drop fill tool that was sensitive to other layers would be my ideal.

This is getting a bit bizzare:

- Pete A says he can get the Polygon Fill mode to work in the Annotation portion of his Viewports on his PC.

- I have tried it several times on my Mac and I cannot get it to work in the Annotation portion of my Viewports.

POSTSCRIPT

Pete A has set me straight. I was trying it on 2D linework. You have to use it on 3D objects. On these it works with no problems at all. Thank you Pete.

Edited by mike m oz

If you want to use the polygon fill from inner space or boundary space on VPs, unfortunately you'll need to convert the VP to lines and/or polygons using either Convert to Lines, Convert to Polygons, Convert/copy to lines, convert/copy to polygons.

Since this breaks the VP link, you will want to be conscious of any changes you may need to make to the design layer. As a rule of thumb, this is best done at the very last stage of drafting.

Katie,

I beg to disagree with you, however the polygon fill tool works excellent in VP's with hidden line rendering selected...even when you use sketch options. You do not need to convert anything from the model.

Now if you are in model space within a layer and you copy your model...create a view...and then convert to (hidden line) in the active class you can fill with the polygon fill tool also. Seems like a wasted effort when the VP's allow you to perform the same function.

Here's the kicker....! you can copy (CNTL>D) viewports and have available alternate versions to apply different surface textures, hatches and fill. Clients love Alt plan "B". Class overrides have even more function in this type operation.

Pete A.