problems with DTM modifiers

How

I seem to have 2 error meassages come up when i try to update the DTM after putting a massing model and a road on the existing site. It says Pad intersecting fence and two intersecting pads. The road is made from 15 seperate sections curved and straight and the fence is 2m wide and on all of them it bridges over onto the next piece of road, i have zoomed in to see if the pads have been moved but they all seem to but up to each other.

Not sure how to progress as my road is partially burried in the slope of the ground, any thoghts?

Thanks

Having studied the problem, what is ocuring is a bit more baffling:

I place a road or anything with modifiers and a fence send it to the surface then update the site model. It come s up with error report that 2 pads overlap and a pad and a fence overlap, i close the dialog box. The contours in 2D?plan view have been adjusted ok and seem to have worked, BUT when a 3d view is selected and rendered the old profile remains.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
It is VW 12.0.1,

Is there any reason why a road, when the modifiers work, could not be used to illustrate a river? Can you vary the width of a road section so it slowly get narrower?

Well, the road object cannot change width, that because of that cannot be used for representing a river. You can make one 3D polygon representing the river and set it into the Modifiers class. This way the Site Model will recognize it as modifier (being 3D polygon means it is a pad)

Note that to get better 3D view you should have equal number of points from both sides of the 3D polygon representing the river.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Having studied the problem, what is ocuring is a bit more baffling:

I place a road or anything with modifiers and a fence send it to the surface then update the site model. It come s up with error report that 2 pads overlap and a pad and a fence overlap, i close the dialog box. The contours in 2D?plan view have been adjusted ok and seem to have worked, BUT when a 3d view is selected and rendered the old profile remains.

Have you selected to show proposed model in 3D too? Obviously you have set to show proposed model in 3D, that's why you see the contours change, but you have to explicitly set it for 3D so you see the changed model.

Yes it has been set to show the proposed model and it seems to have worked on some sections of the road. That is that the DTM has been altered to fit the profile of the road but in others it has not worked, it looks like the fence set arround the pad has a different z value in places that actually pull the DTM above the road, i cannot find a way to alter the z values of points on the fence. Perhaps i need to make the road from smaller sections?

I still get the same error message that two pads are intersecting and a fence and pad intersect but have no way of identifying where it is going wrong.

Thanks for your help.