Walls - tilted, thickened, irregular?

Having exhausted what I know about VW, user for about eight years thus far, I assume that wall manipulation is simply not possible in VW besides using the 3D move tool to change the peak height! OK, I have extruded vertically, extruded along paths, multiple extruded, extruded extruded, converted extrudes to meshes, 3D polys and nurbs which are essentially collections of 3D polys. I have attemped to stretch extrusions resulting in unresolved connections where they overlap and finally, I have spent hours creating complicated working plane alignments and adding and intersecting solids all of which DO NOT WORK. The world is not longer symmetrical and I live in LA (my clients want crooked things here you to hell Frank Ghery!). To be able to truly stretch a 3D vertex and have the snap actually work in this mode! Why why why? Must I admit that VW is not perfect?

As you point out ...the limitations inherent in the Wall Procedures make them inappropriate for creating flowing 'skins' which are attached to geodesic frameworks. Creation of the 3d Vertices Spaceframe allows for the addition of 3dPoly & NURBS Surfaces. Using NURBS Curves & Lofting creates freeform 3d Objects.

A simple NURBS Curve>

Tetrapheric9-sliver.jpg

Makes one of these:

Tetrapheric-9icos2.jpg

Greetings Islandmon and thanks for the response. Imagine a wall that tapers from 6" at the base to 12" at the top and is not shaped like a rectangle in elevation (polygon). Now imagine creating a room with four of those that attach accurately where the edges intersect. The object you created is very cool and I know how to do that. I cannot determine how to join irregular planar surfaces though as described above.

Any clue about seating layouts? Raising them up causes a working plane shift that is not relative to the ground plane.

Thanks agan, Blink

VW does have true solids. When you create a sphere, it's a solid object that can be manipulated by adding or removing volume, moving vertices, or running a variety of different 3d modeling commands.

Walls however, are not considered the same type of object -hence the reason the object type is wall and created differently.

• 2 weeks later...

It can be done and its not too bad either. The problem with VectorWorks is that the tools have built up over many releases and some are named badly and hide a lot of funtionality.

The method to get irregular planar walls is to do this:

1. Create the top and bottom polygons shapes in plan.

2. Convert to NURBS and move to the desired 3D Z height

3. Draw one Nurbs Curve by clicking on one corner of the bottom profile and the corresponding one on the top profile.

4. Use the Loft Surface command, Birail option

5. Heres the clever bit - choose the bottom profile as the 1st rail, the second (top) profile as the 2nd rail, and the connecting curve as the profile curve. In the options choose, make solid.

6. This will create the irregular planar shape desired but without top and base caps.

7. Select the shape and Choose. Model menu>3D Powerpack>create planar caps.

8. Select all objects and choose Model>Add solids

This is the resulting solid.

Repeat for the other walls and then Add solids to get the shape.

• Like 1