PDF Import

I am trying to import a PDF file and trace over it. This is a common problem for us. In the past I have used Illustrator to open the PDF and save as an EPS. I am trying to avoid that step since our company doesn't use Illustrator often and only owns a few copies. Is there a way to import a PDF much like impoting a JPEG?

Walter,

I convert the pdf to a jpeg but to do that you need suitable software - dunno if there is a free pdf to jpeg converter on the net. Another way though - get some free screen capture software and capture the pdf - save as a jpeg

If you want a very quick and accurate way to convert PDF's to tiffs (especially full sized drawings)try checking out this site: http://www.informatik.com/. Then have a product called P2T that is incredible. It's not free, but it pays for itself several times a month in our office. Also, try the "tiff driver" if you want generate SUPERIOR quality tiffs/jpegs. Way better than the built-in "image-export" in VW.

IMO There is a MUCH better way to do this. If you have Illustrator, just open the pdf, export to DWG, import and scale the entire drawing to a known dim and you have a workable drawing. Lines are lines text is text. No tracing required.

Does this work with PDF which originated as scans? In other words, can I take a blueprint and scan it to PDF and then convert to DWG, and end up with vector info and not bitmap info?

That would be wonderful, but it sounds a little like turning lead into gold :-).

Does this work with PDF which originated as scans? In other words, can I take a blueprint and scan it to PDF and then convert to DWG, and end up with vector info and not bitmap info?

In a word...no.

That would be wonderful, but it sounds a little like turning lead into gold :-).

But if you have Adobe illustrator you can smile.gif