Core Animation

Arch.Ken,

You seem to have taken on the responsibilities of moderator of these forums. Perhaps, it's time for you to publish your NNA forum list of rules for the rest of us to follow.

The point of the Core Animation presentation is the awesome manipulation of 3d Spatial Graphics overlaid like building fascades. Something the VW User community may be interested in. This technology offers tremendous promise to those who must present their work products to a media hungry audience.

Pursuant to your request I shall not submit links or discuss ideas involving improvements to the Operating Systems which may impact VW.

Would you mind if I sent you my postings via private email for your review and approval prior to actually posting them ?

It's all about utilizing the power of the GPU on the Video Card(s) and the CPU.

From WWDC06:

Core Image provides high-performance and GPU-assisted image processing. By harnessing the tremendous pixel processing power of the GPU or the vector execution unit of the CPU, Core Image performs complex per-pixel imaging operations at blistering speeds to create spectacular visual effects and transitions. In this session, you'll see how to add image processing to your own application using any of the 100 built-in effects. We'll also show you how to create your own custom algorithms and deploy them as Image Units. This is a must-experience session for developers of image enhancement software, video effects systems, color management solutions, and scientific visualization packages.

The trouble is, and I hav'n't read the article, if it's OS specific then that's not going to be of much interest to software companies such as NNA who are multi platform.

Spending time, money and resources on something that will only work for part of their user base and not in fact be of direct benefit to the program itself will probably not be taken up.

I'm sure NNA have the figures but doubt if they'd release them, but I'd say its probably evens as regards licensed users of VW on Windows OS and Apples OS.

On a personal note I think we do far to much for "free" for the client now anyway. Although not involved in Architecture, but Exhibition and Display design, I don't need another thing for the client to demand seeing before winning the pitch, which has to always be for free, and never treated with respect by clients anyway.

Alan

On a personal note I think we do far to much for "free" for the client now anyway. Although not involved in Architecture, but Exhibition and Display design, I don't need another thing for the client to demand seeing before winning the pitch, which has to always be for free, and never treated with respect by clients anyway.

Well, with respect, this is not a technological problem.

Arch.Ken,

You seem to have taken on the responsibilities of moderator of these forums...

islandmon, I'm sorry you feel that way. I hope life isn't too harsh on those islands. Or was that from my having pointed out your unnecessarily complex worksheet? You call that moderating? You seem to have taken me on as some opponent that must be defeated. What can I say? Good luck? Or maybe "meet me in the parking lot?"

I'm glad you have explained your point. Now we all see how Core Animation is relevant. We should all be happy -- don't worry.

Cristiaan

It wasn't intended as a serious moan, just a side swipe at the clients brought about by the sixth revision of a visual "just like to see what the walls would look like a different colour. It's easy to do right, you just press a few buttons and the computer does the rest" moment.

This thread is doomed/jinxed or both.

Well I feel kind of sorry for Islandmon here: beset by pedants on both sides!!

Obviously, I understand the other side: we've all had that "you just press a few buttons and the computer does the rest" notion that clients have, and that false idea that just because they mention something, this new and un-planned for requirement not only automatically exists, but is set in stone ? again!

What I do with colour changes is to make sure that my renders have individual alpha channels assigned to tagged objects in Maxon Cinema. This way, I can effect more of the suggested changes in Photoshop in a much quicker way.