Workgroup referencing and symbol folders

I have been experimenting with WGR in VW 11.5.1 and I see that client files have all the symbols from the various folders of the master grouped together at the top level of the resource browser in the client - the folder structure of the symbols in the master is effectively lost.

Is this behaviour as it should be and why does it work this way?

Scripts that look for specific folders obviously won't work in the client and having all the symbols available presented in one list is difficult for the client user.

Thanks,

Joel.

I would be curious how plainly imported symbols (from file to file) can maintain their original folder structure, not to mention WGR's! When I import symbols I assume they all drop into the top level only. I assume it's because symbol folder naming in each file can be, and is best left as, unlimited.

And this is 12. Unless there's some sophisticated strategy already in place that I'm not aware of?

I would be curious how plainly imported symbols (from file to file) can maintain their original folder structure, not to mention WGR's!

If there is logic in organising symbols into folders in the master, how is that logic invalid in the client? If the alias of a folder in the Finder was not actually a folder but just the files it contained, I would not be happy.

In any large solution (where WGR is ideal) there are symbols for use by scripts alone and those to be placed by the user. Mixing them together is a bad idea.

If the folder structure is indeed brittle with WGR, perhaps it's better not to have symbol folders at all anywhere and just have a long list of symbols with prefix codes to keep them in groups - it certainly would make the scripts that traverse symbol libraries a lot easier to write.

Hard luck for the poor user who has to scroll through them all though...

Joel.

I would be curious how plainly imported symbols (from file to file) can maintain their original folder structure, not to mention WGR's!

If there is logic in organising symbols into folders in the master, how is that logic invalid in the client? If the alias of a folder in the Finder was not actually a folder but just the files it contained, I would not be happy...

Joel, I didn't mean to imply that there's any flaw in any human brain's logic when used to organize symbols into folders in the Resource Browser of the CAD software application called Vectorworks! [ Laughing Out Loud ] laugh.gif ... When I use the RB to import symbols that reside neatly in their nested folders in a Favorite File, they don't automatically drop into their respective nested folder of the same name in my current drawing. I hope that's clearer.

I'm glad you're experimenting with WGR's though.

Joel, I didn't mean to imply that there's any flaw in any human brain's logic when used to organize symbols into folders in the Resource Browser of the CAD software application called Vectorworks! [ Laughing Out Loud ] laugh.gif ... When I use the RB to import symbols that reside neatly in their nested folders in a Favorite File, they don't automatically drop into their respective nested folder of the same name in my current drawing. I hope that's clearer.

Absolutely no problem. Please redirect all ire, real and implied to NNA :-)

I have a client who would benefit from WGR and would keep a master map somewhere to be accessed by users around the organisation, most of whom would be making some contribution to the drawing.

The master would be refreshed periodically to incorporate their changes. The issue is that none of them would have their own symbol folders, deriving all their resources from the master.

In this case, all symbols are in one big list. In any case, it's not beyond the wit of man to name symbol folders drawn from another document so they cannot be confused. Where name conflicts occur they are easy to resolve.

To simply ignore the organisation of external symbol libraries seems to me a real and unnecessary disadvantage.

I'll propose a system where symbol folders are eliminated and symbol names are prefixed in some way to group them, expound on the pros and cons and see what they think.

Joel.