Add Solids Problem

I have an extruded rectangle and an object I created with the sweep tool and a locus. They intersect. When I try Add Solids, I get a message that says "You are trying to create a 3D solid from a sweep containing a Locus within the horizontal span of its defining polygon. Move the locus beyond the left or right edge of defining geometry to resolve this error."

First, why is this an error? Second, I edit the sweep object and delete the locus and, well, you know what I am going to say next. Deleting the locus is not the answer. What do I do to add these two solids?

Thanks.

I got something that works. Originally, I was using an arc and a locus to create a foorball shape. I guess this does not create a solid, so I created a closed shape by adding a line (the rotation point) and connecting the arc to it, then deleted the locus and swept about the line. I took that shape and did the Add Solids and it worked.

This documentation leaves a lot to be desired!