Frequent Crashes VW12

I have been experiencing frequent crashes (less than every 10 minutes) on the Spotlight file I am working on. It is a particularly simple file, a bunch of rectangles, and less than 50 light objects so far.

Crashes occur randomly, when I edit text, move lights, move text, etc.

Crashes have been very frequent since upgrading to 12, but never as bad as today.

I have already tried rebooting. Any other ideas?

Ethan

Spotlight 12.0.1

Mac OS 10.4.7

I have been going through crashes at times it seems constant I found that certian fonts would caushes. I edited my font listing in windows and changed out all fonts on a drawing when I opened it and now I can run for a whole day without crashing. I have also done this to other CPU's in our group and it has helped them also. There may also be something else going on because this did not occur on my old CPU. The thing is it makes your day great when your work is not corrupted every 5 minutes.

Good Luck Tom

Two generic suggestions. This may not specifically address what your particular problem is.

1. Fonts can be corrupt. Use Font Book to check your fonts. Delete those that are suspect.

2. Run a Disk Repair Utility on a regular basis. I use Diskwarrior. It keeps my hard drive from getting too out of wack. Even when the computer is running fine, Diskwarrior finds problems with the drive.

Good luck.

Version 8.5 & 11.5 work fine and my old CPU was ok with them. I did uninstall and reinstall the fonts that were suspect to no avail. I have a PC and when this is done on a MAC there is no problem. I am not intending to say that the problem is the font itself I think there is something else going on and that it is how the different types of fonts interact with the program. I just intended to offer a quick solution to be able to stay running and not lose work because I just went through it and had to work 14 hr days 7 days a week to get my work done.

Ethan,

If you are using a Mac, go to the application Font Book. Choose validate fonts. The resulting display window is self explanatory. Font Book assigns the results as Passed, Minor Problem, Serious Problem.

For my money, if the font does not pass, it goes into the Trash.

Ethan,

I certainly think Diskwarrior is an essential product. Is it worth the price?

Well some people don't think that backing up their hard drives is necessary or that the software/hardware is too expensive.

After their hard drive crashes and they loose everything, then ask them again.

For me Diskwarrior is like a flu shot. It keeps my computer from getting sick and possibly dying.

Your call :-).

• 4 weeks later...

Still experiencing frequent crashes. I'm not convinced there is a problem with my drive, because I never had a single problem until I installed VW12. Then BANG! Crash after crash, with no apparent pattern (happens when I'm editing text, panning and zooming, moving lighting devices, etc.).

Could there be a problem with the symbols or label legends in my files that would be causing this?

Would upgrading to v12.5 solve my problems, if the installer didn't freeze in the middle?

Ethan

VW Spotlight v12.0.1

Ethan,

What version of the OS are you using?

What message do you get when you "crash" ?

Specific information will allow us to further diagnose the problem and offer an effective solution.

I definately recommend updating to 12.5

If you are having problems with the updater, please request an installation disk - 888-646-4223 or sales@nemetschek.net

You may want to try running the Disk Utility from /Applications/Utilities and the select your computers hard drive from the left side. On the right can click "Verify Disk Permissions" or "Repair Disk Permissions"

Click the verify button to make sure the disk permissions are set up correctly.

This may help. If not, when VectorWorks crashes, click the "Report" button in the crash window, copy that text and send a bug to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net

Good luck!