Polyline dimensioning

Sorry for my buggy english. What I want are distances from the star of polylines (that represent optical fiber cable), to put on every trap, and the distances between traps along poly's path (something like milestones).

The job I'm evaluating is part of the main wiring project of a entry mountain region i live (1200 km2 ), for connecting most towns and village of the region.

Before starting the main project, I must make a state of fact of all existing public lighting system tubes, also with distances from a starting point, for each town.

So I'm searching a plug-in that let's me only make a mouse click on the polyline point I'll need to have the distance from starting point, and, if it's possible, from previous clicked point.

I now there's something like what I'm looking for made Autocad.

I've made in past jobs like this, but a lot smaller area, and it's really time expansive and annoing, to decompose or cut poly's, select all the part's from starting point and enter manually a callout for each lighting point or each trap.

I hope now it's more clear what I mean.

1) Is a closed 2d PolyLine really your best option ?

2) Is the site perfectly flat ? Are there no elevation or meander factors involved.

Using line segments & arcs allows you to program a worksheet to keep running totals and to also apply various elevation pitch factors to the segments in order to increase the lengths as required. You can also add 'fudge factors' for the meander of the lines.

1) Why closed? I talking about open polylines. I use open polylines because previous designs that was made with Autocad used 2d poly, and I must exchange my work to Autocad user. Public administration in Italy want DXF/DWG files too, from all public project beyond dozen of paper copies from the projects.

2) It's not perfectly flat, but it's insiede the admitted tolerance: for now project will connect towns in valley bottom, mostly using abandoned rails. And a lot of work will be inside the towns, with public lighting, and they are mostly flat.

As you talk seems you have made this kind of jobs, can you email me an example of your work with worksheet? I'll interested to evaluate your solution... Do you know how this worksheet are exported to DWG/DXF and used with Autocad?

My email is borgobello/at/alice.it

Thanks in every case.

Did a few of the FibreOp installations around here.

Export the Worksheets as either TXT, PDF or XLS.

Since it appears that you will be working entirely in 2d, use basic lines & arcs. Calculate lengths via worksheets with additional variables as required.

Use Class assignments to simplify data retrieval.