modifying landscape/Bezier walls for real terrain

dsofio

I'd like to be able to tweak wall sections to follow approximated variations in terrain (no usable DTM, yet) and render the approximate changes in section and placement on a steep hillside. Is this possible with any landscape wall, particularly with Bezier walls? I had a VERY hard time representing this with the conventional wall tool for a straight section of wall, so I wouldn't even try to use that workaround for a curvy section. My stone wall representation requires taper to the top, as well as variations along the slope. Ideally, the base thickness would adjust to keep a code-required wall batter, based on the height at any given section over varying terrain. From what little help-file material I can find on landscape or landscape Bezier walls in particular, this appears perhaps only useful for work where there are no variations in terrain...but who landscapes only flat planes? "selected object has no edit behavior" is not a happy thing.

I'm wondering about chucking the wall tools altogether and instead extruding along a 3D line, then modifying the resulting solid...?

islandmon,

Sorry, I don't follow; as long as /what/ is a mesh, the terrain? The wall? Are you saying

a) convert (wall) to mesh, then

b) edit somehow?

Haven't had any luck with that approach, so I guess you might mean something else. I don't have a terrain, per se, just estimated changes in elevation at various points for this rough wall design for now.

Mahalo,

Dave

First, you will need to generate a Site Model using 3dLoci Datum & DTM Procedures.

The DTM Procedure creates a 3d Triangulated (TIN) Mesh based on the contours derived from the 3dLoci Datum.

The Fitwall & ConstrainWall Procedures require 3dPolygons. Therefore, the DTM Polygonal Mesh can be used to constrain the base of the wall to Fit the terrain defined by the 3d TIN Mesh, as shown in my little rendering. The base of that example wall rests on the terrain it does not cut through it.

One other thing the ConstrainWallToTerrain Procedure is very processor intensive and depends on the frequency of the 3d nodes. More nodes means geometrically more time to process. Therefore, the longer the wall and the more well defined the terrain the longer the wait state. I suggest constraining the wall using the shortest possible segments.

Test:

1)Create a simple 3dPoly

2)Create a wall object above it

3) Do Procedure > constrain Wall to geometry