Stack layers option for saved views

MKingsley

Question

I'd like to have the ability to toggle on or off the "Stack Layers" option within a saved view preference. The "Stack Layers" option is usually on when I'm working in different layers, and then when I want to measure objects between two layers I go to my model in a linked layer and have to remember to turn off linked layers in order to use the tape measure tool. I don't want to have to remember.

This is, of course, if we won't ever be able to use these drawing tools with "Stack Layers" on.

6 answers to this question

When you go to the layer link, switch to a wireframe or other mode. Then, you won't have the stacked layers view.

The stacked layers view only happens when a layer is rendered in Open GL and the layer options have been set to gray others. If you leave a layer in a non-rendered view, when you go back to the layer, it won't be rendered.

When I double click on my "Model" saved view, it goes to that linked layer that has all my layers where I want them and it is in wireframe. I then go to a side view to measure from one floor to another with the measure tool but cannot if the "Stack Layers" option is turned on in the View menu. This has to be turned off to measure in that linked layer in wireframe. I'm never trying to enter a render mode here.

I want an option in the saved view command to have "Stack Layers" either on or off for that particular view.

Thanks for your quick response to both my issues, Katie

Michael,

Okay. I appreciate your patience while I try to understand what you are doing. I'm still a little confused. Is the model a true layer link including each floor, or, is the "model" just a view with all floors visible set to a Stack Layer view?

I ask this because if you have a layer link including all the floors, you shouldn't need the stack layers mode to view all of them stacked properly.

Edited by Katie

Yes, I'm trying to work in a layer link. I have a saved view called "Model" which is probably the confusing part, and that saved view takes me to just the layer link.

After working in other layers with various class and layer visibilities, and usually with "Stack Layers" turned on, I'll go to the saved view which has just that layer link visible. I create the layer link for the sole purpose of measuring between elements that are on different layers, such as where a cut-out in a floor has to be for proper head room in stairs. But "Stack Layers" is still on when I go to that layer link. You're right in that I don't need it on and, indeed, I don't want it on. So if I want to use that layer link to do some measuring in elevation, I have to do the extra step of turning it off, which I usually forget to do and then I get the "no-no" dialog and there's two more clicks or two more key strokes.

I don't know what the future capabilities of "Stack Layers" is going to be, like will we be able to draw or measure in elevation views. But if that's not going to happen, I'm wanting an option to have the "Stack Layers" on or off when you create a saved view.

Thanks for your patience in trying to understand me. I hope I made it more clear.