"region" tool & Copy with refrence point

SLFY

Question

Perhaps there is an existing tool or plug-in for these which I have not run across?

I would like to be able to use a tool to click in an open area, and have a closed polygon or poly-line drawn of the bordering lines, arcs, etc. There is an ACAD tool that does this, if I remember correctly it is called "Region"? As it is now, I either redraw lines, etc. or trim them, and select and compose them (or use connect/combine which is often a little iffy)to create the polygon or line, so that it can be hatched, or offset, etc. A one click tool would be very helpful.

I have mentioned a copy with reference point tool before. It was not part of 12, so I am mentioning it again, in hopes there is a plug-in out there. It would be good to be able to copy and specify a point (any point - inside the copied selection or outside) which would be used when pasting the object(s). This is also an ACad tool. I would improve the ACad version by giving the option of specifying coordinates of the reference point when pasting.

Thanks in advance for any help.

7 answers to this question

Okay, I'll give it a shot. Here is a very simple example - Say I am drawing an object in a side elevation, by pulling lines from a plan and front elevation view. I'll end up with the rectangles I need to for the side elevation. I can then use the rectangle tool to go point to point to form these rectangles as closed shapes which can be hatched, extruded etc. I would like a tool which will allow me to just click in the open spaces that would be the middle of these rectangles to automatically form the rectangle. Am I making myself clear?

There are many times that I find myself with several lines and arcs, or even a freehand line in a 2d drawing that have been placed individually for any number of reasons. At some point I need to offset or hatch a shape that is formed by a group of these. The lines, arcs etc. may extend well beyond the shape I am concerned with, and I may need them to, so in order to create the shape I want to offset, I need to copy and paste in place the lines, etc. then trim them into the shape which I can then offset or hatch. If I could use a tool to click in the open space formed by all the lines, arcs, etc. that would create this shape automatically, it would save a ton of time. I hope this helps explain what I am getting at?

Ha! I knew I was missing something. Thanks for the Polygon from inner boundary help - never even looked to see what options were available there. It appears that all the bounding objects need to be of the same class? but I can live with that.

As for the plug-ins, I have been searching these sites, and I don't see anything new. I currently use the Pt to Pt copy - however, It doesn't allow me to just keep the copied selection in the clip board. If I miss a place to which I need a copy, I have to set it up again. If I see something I need to fix while doing pt to pt copies, I can't just fix it and continue on with pasting copies. I also can't paste a copy and rotate it or mirror it before going on to the next paste, etc.

Thanks for the help - wish I would have gotten around to asking the question a year ago.

Vector Depot Plugins: Duplicate/Multiple (2nd Plugin below Pt2Pt Copy). Will place copies where you click until you exit the tool. You can rotate/mirror without exiting the tool by use of the Space Bar. After releasing the Space Bar, subsequent copies will be the same as the rotated/mirrored version. You can re-rotate/mirror to continue with the original version. Deleting one of the copies requires exiting the Duplicate/Mult Tool.

George