DWG export: no line weights

VW12.0 on Windows XP

This is not a new problem, but I will try again to get an answer to an old vexing export problem. Whenever I export a .MCD file with various lineweights (thick and thin) the DWG 2006 file does not include any lineweight information.

I open the file in Brava Desktop translator with the "Show Lineweights" option checked, all lines are the same (thin) thickness. When I re-import the same file into VW12, all lines are the same thickness (thin).

My exported DWG files have never displayed lineweights when opened in AutoCAD 2000 to 2004. I don't understand why VW lineweights do not translate into DWG lineweights. Am I doing something wrong? Am I the only one who can't export lineweights?

JHEarcht

PS---I have tried exporting with the "Map lineweights to colors" button on and off. Still uniform lineweights.

Katie (aka Sherlock)

In about six or seven years, I don't think I have ever successfully exported lineweights to DWG or DXF format. At first I assumed the problem was with AutoCAD's non-wysiwig backwardness. But in recent years ACAD has been able to display lineweights on screen as well as in prints.

When I export base sheets for my consultants it doesn't seem to matter to them if my lineweights are all the same. But when I have to submit final DWG files to government agencies, it gets embarrassing, even though they've never mentioned it. While I'm griping, arrow heads don't display or print either.

Since I'm the only one with this problem, I assume it's due to user stupidity. Can I send you an MCD file and a DWG export so you can show me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

We've had no problem with weights going out properly, but that's got nothing to to with User Stupidity or otherwise. Your problem has possibly more to do with Computer Stupidity. ;-)

A thought though:

Have you tried the LWT button in the ACAD status bar?

I just tried this and with "Map line weights" ticked on export, the LWT button did nothing to the export (all lines stayed thin).

With Mapping turned off the LWT button in ACAD did toggle the view of line thickness.

HTH

... in recent years ACAD has been able to display lineweights on screen as well as in prints...

That's news to me. It's good to know.

I'm from the old school -- where lineweights are assumed NOT wysiwig in Autocad. In fact, I remember when lines thicker than the absolute thinnest in Minicad (0.03mm or 1 mil) exported as a polyline! It has long been corrected, but from those lessons I've stayed with the lowest common denominator, which is to map VW lineweights as colors. Autocad now reads my drawings with hardly any hint of my using VW to create them!

By "mapping lineweights to colors" you simply choose your colors. You should then provide a separate chart or a screen shot of your color choices. VW does NOT produce any special line thickness in the export. The purpose is for the old method (in Autocad) of using colors to differentiate line thickness when plotting.

That's why I've consistently used the same 7 lineweights -- they get assigned the RGB, the CMY and, of course, white/black. Now in 12 I have 3 more to choose from, which means I'll have to choose 3 more "basic" colors.

Now the next feature I'd expect is for the DXF/DWG team to enable direct lineweight mapping into Autocad! They're working on it... I know they are... smirk.gif

JHEarcht

Sure, I'll take a look at it. I just got back from vacation and am training the next few days. It may take me until Friday to get back to you. I'll do my best to make it earlier.

Now the next feature I'd expect is for the DXF/DWG team to enable direct lineweight mapping into Autocad! They're working on it... I know they are...

At least since VW10 the Export to DWG dialog says "Older DXF/DWG versions normally use colors to indicate line weights. Version 2000 files have True Line Weight support, so you may not want to choose this option."

I construed this warning to mean that, by not choosing the "colored line" option, my lineweight data would be automatically embedded in the DWG file by default, and would be visible on-screen in AutoCAD without any need for the recipient to move a CTB file into the Plot Styles folder. Apparently I misconstrued the situation, because my exports don't automatically display lineweights, even with the LW command ON.

So what I'm trying to find out is this: is AutoCAD 2006 still not comparable to VW in ability to display WYSIWIG lineweights rather than pen plotter settings? I'm aware that most ACAD users are still working in the 1980's mode of drawing with layer colors instead of True Line Weights. But surely the world standard CAD software is more sophisticated than that! Am I wrong?

If so, I will go back to exporting layer colors in a separate CTB file. At least that way my lineweights will print.

...At least since VW10 the Export to DWG dialog says "Older DXF/DWG versions normally use colors to indicate line weights. Version 2000 files have True Line Weight support, so you may not want to choose this option."

I construed this warning to mean that, by not choosing the "colored line" option, my lineweight data would be automatically embedded in the DWG file by default...

FWIW, the "lowest common denominator" approach was a huge lesson for me in keeping my sanity. All the time I send DXF files to people who claim to be ACAD users. But, as you also mention, ACAD users comprise many different "levels of usage" not to mention many different sub-versions of the software. It's challenging enough to fine-tune WYSIWYG-ness between just two people, one using VW and the other ACAD. Toss in a third person and you get havoc or you start the trial-n-error process all over. You learn to pare down. That's just my opinion.

Having said that, I think you're right about lineweight data automatically embedded in the DWG file! It's been so long since ACAD 2000 that I may have to go through all my trial-n-error iterations again. crazy.gif

As for your re-importing the DWG back into VW12 and not seeing the lineweights, have you tried exporting layers as layers, then re-importing (DXF) layers as layers again (in the Graphic Attributes tab)?

... by not choosing the "colored line" option, my lineweight data would be automatically embedded in the DWG file by default, and would be visible on-screen in AutoCAD without any need for the recipient to move a CTB file into the Plot Styles folder.

Yes, that's how you do it, and it works. I've been doing it regularly since 2000. The only trick is coaxing Autocad to display lineweights, which it definitely can do if you have the patience. There are a lot of different settings, and they keep changing them.

In all versions, you have to turn on "display lineweight" in one of the dozens of tabs in the giant "Options" window, and also set how heavily to show them. But I think that only affects ModelSpace. In model space, zooming versus lineweight works the opposite of what you'd expect, making thick lines thicker as you zoom out, quickly becoming an unreadable mess, and thinner as you zoom in, quickly becoming undistinguishable.

Autocad only shows lineweights properly in Layout tabs, and only if you set a lot of things correctly. In the print setup window for the Layout, you have to select "Plot Object Lineweights". That affects on-screen display as well as print-out. And set the plot style table to "None", and check a box right under that, called "Display plot styles". Very important! Even after you set everything else correctly, Autocad still assumes that you don't want to see what the drawing looks like, unless you tell it to "display plot styles". That also applies to the old system of colors to lineweights.

• 13 years later...

Hello,

My office is having a similar problem (all these years later) so I was wondering what worked, and what new fixes have been released? In the office half of us are familiar with CAD and the other half VW.  As mentioned above they are still very different programs (such as wysiwig vs. line-weights as colors) so how are designers making them work together these days?  My main question is (similar to the question originally posted) If I start a drawing in VW how do I get the line-weights to transfer accurately to CAD? AND If I need to bring that file back into VW will they still be accurate? I know the answers I seek are possibly in the comments above, but I'm sure both programs have changed/updated and new answers are hopefully out there. Thanks for the help.