VW12: Text Position in Space Object

Kevin

When using a Space Object, I need to be able to freely locate the text, ie: Room Name, Square Footage. The OIP allows the option of Center, Left and Right. This however is really very limiting.

It there a way to more precisely locate the text without ungrouping the Space Object?

Also, is there a way to eliminate the fractions from shown dimensions? The Decimal Option in the OIP will change the precision of the Area, but does not affect the precision of the Dimensions. So I now have an area of 100 SF but I have dimensions of 10'0 1/8" x 10'0 1/8", instead of 10' x 10'.

There's a handle for the space name. You can click on the handle using the 2D selection tool and drag the space name to the desired location. You will find that a number of text placements like this operate in the same fashion.

What do you mean by this "he Decimal Option in the OIP will change the precision of the Area, but does not affect the precision of the Dimensions" ? I don't see what you are referring to.

K, the easiest way is to just go into the Space Object Group and edit the Space Polyline to the correct dimensions then exit...viola' ... problem solved. This really is beneficial when you have oddball polygons and you want to simplify the dimension text to whole values. There's a lot you can do working inside the SpaceObjectGroup.

That's what I was going to suggest, too. I can't think of any situation where I'd want the space object to be other than the real size of the object. Then again, I'm not the trained architect, either.

Edited by Katie

Thanks Katie, I did not see that handle, before. That is just what I needed, works perfect.

As for the dimensions: In the OIP is a checkbox for Show Dims, as well as Show Actual Area.

So lets say that I have a Space Object that is 10' 0 1/4" x 10' 0 1/4". This equals 100.417 SF. I am doing a preliminary design using Sketch, (got to love it), and I want this to be loose, not precise. I simply want the Space Object to say 10' x 10' and 100 SF.

The OIP Decimals Box only controls the Area precision. With my Decimal set to 0, I get 100 SF, perfect. But the Dims still show that 1/4".

Sure I can change the entire document units to no fractions, but now my 5 1/2" walls are 6" and my 1 3/8" doors are 1" thick.

Islandmon: Thanks for the help. I think that method would be too cumbersome. The Create Spaces From Walls command is wonderful. It keeps things simple. I don't want to have to muck with altering the poly's when I should be able to select the units precision in the OIP.

Thanks Robert. So I take it that your advice here is to change the Document Units setting to remove the fractions from the Space Object Text. Then when I am ready to move onto Construction Documents, I simply change the Document Units back to whatever precision I desire.

Is this correct?