Is there a pdf manual for VWs Architect 12?

OK, it's not completely awful ;-)

There are a couple of problems.

The first are nothing to do with NNA, and that is the Java bug in Safari, and the Windows "protection" that blocks Java content. sheesh >:-(

The main problem (for me) is navigation. In the old PDF version if you were on a page you new (from the index) where you were in the body of the text. In the new one, after clicking Related Topics a few times you can end up ....somewhere.

The "Show in Contents" button that returns a "the current page could not be found in the table of contents" message is not helpful. (Internet Explorer on Windows XP2)

Even if that button did work, you still have to click it for each page.

The Back and Forward navigation buttons are a good thing I suppose but I'd still like to be able to scroll.

I'm probably just old and set in my ways. {:-?

cheers,

N.

Edited by propstuff

As I use mainly 10.5 which has the old pdf help manual I didn't take on board this change, as purely by chance I've not looked at help in the office version of VW 11.5, if that's changed to this new method I don't know.

Apart from people like Nicholas and myself who prefer the older pdf manual, surely (and I don't know if it is), it would be easier from NNA's point of view to produce a manual that only requires to be compliant with one program - Acrobat Reader, freely available.

The method used by NNA now requires you to ensure it works with Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Opera etc. and is if my memory serves me correct, not without the odd hiccup.

Does this not involve more time in development and testing than making it pdf based?

Alan

Hey, I think i can help you out there, Jason. I think you should be able to reach the PDF file, but I'm not sure it is the one you're looking for. Here's how you get to it:

1. Go under "My Computer"

2. Open up "Program Files"

3. Open the "VectorWorks 12.0.0" file

4. Go under "VWHelp"

5. Then go under "Additional Documentation"

6. Then go under "Tutorial Files"

...and you should see a PDF that you can open.

Hope it's what you're looking for! :grin:

SU18,

I looked up what you suggested, and those are all html files... (internet style)... what he is looking for, I believe, is a total file for the help section, created and accessible in the .pdf format. It is much easier to do searches in and find information.

I agree that as far as I am concerned, html help files may be the wave of the future, but I believe it to be a Tsunami, and almost unsurfable.

best of luck