Solids from poylines

Hi, I have a small problem which has arisen on a practice file. Draw an elipse(large) draw 2 elipses smaller and place them 12/6 o'clock half overlapping the perimeter line of the larger one. Clip these two smaller ones from the big one and end up with a hammer head shape in 2d plan. The end reult needs to be say a desk with a top in the same planform as this shape with say a 2" overhang, and a kickboard say 6" high and 1" thick again same planform around the outside of the base. I have tried this with a friend on VW 10.5 and he gets a solid when clipping and extruding but I get two ribbons extruded. We have swopped files and opened them on each others computers and get the same (different results. He VW 10.5 Windows-- Me VW 11.5 Mac OSX.

Anyone have any ideas. It seems we need to be able to covert a polyline to a polygon surface but are unable to do it.

Thanks

David

I just tried it on VW11.5 on OS10.4

It came out solid for me.

The usuall reason for unfilled extrudes is open poly lines but I don't know why that would happen with your shape.

Double click the extruded ribbon to go back to the polyline.

With the 2D Reshape tool go to each vertex and in turn, drag them out from the shape to check if they're connected to the next vertex.

If the Poly is not Closed you should find a gap at one of them.

N.

Hi Nicholas

What can't be explained is the fact that Davids VW 11.5 file which creates unfilled extrudes on his machine when saved down as a VW10 file and sent to me, opens and renders with filled extrudes.....

I do nothing at all to the file except set isometric view and use the hidden line render command.

David thinks it may be a setting on his preferences etc. but I can't imagine what or where.

Alan

David,

I managed to reproduce your problem.

I made the clipped "Hammer head" from the Ellipses.

I used the Offset tool to make a second one inside the first.

Clipped the second from the first and Extruded.

It came out solid.

I did the same thing but Offset on the outside of the first, and repeated the steps,

and it came out hollow.

This looks like a bug in the Offset Tool.

I noted however that the second (outside offset) method makes a little flat section at the junction of the ellipses which is unpleasant (to me). The succesfull option was also more attractive ;-)

N

PS

Alan,

I can't imagine why the "same" file would work on your machine but not his.

He sent me the file, I saved it back to VW10 and it was still hollow for me. :-/

Edited by propstuff

Hi Nicholas

To muddy the waters further, when David and I went through it together we also tried using solid subtraction rather than clipping.

Created the shapes, clipped them, then used the offset tool, to create the outer shape but instead of clipping we extruded both shapes and used solid subtraction.

David then saw the shape as he expected, filled.....

Although after your discovery regarding it working in clipping if its an inner offset, but unfilled if its an outer we'd have to ask David what he did inner or outer before extrude and subtract.

Of course with 12.5 in the wings no maintenance work is going to be done to rectify this bug, but at least we know and have a workround of sorts.

Alan

Hi once again Nick, I beleive I clicked the offset tool on the outside of the shape. This I thought was going to be a very easy build of the desk and so far I (and others have spent many hours trying to sort this) The problem also seems to be as I mentioned if you do this as a solid sub. and then try to go back in edit to grad a 2d version of the shape to offset ( outside) to form the rim piece at the top and then the kick board you cannot get shape in 2d without the full elipses being shown beofe the original clipping stage. At least this is what my novice skills found.

Question : Is there a use for the shell tool here?

David