VW12 performance

has anyone else found VW12 runs slower then VW11. there is a split second delay when switching tools rather than real time performance of VW11. what could be causing this, or is this something that improves in future updates?

Running VW12.0.1 on Dual 2GHz G5 PowerMac. 1.5GB RAM

Yes. Slower for me, too. I use 12 every day. Before it was 11.5 every day. Before that it was 11, 10, 8.5, 8, 7, 6.

12 has the greatest "lag" between tools, screen redraws, boomerang pans, zooms, etc. -- despite my high-end machine, which is most disappointing. It's noticeable (and very annoying) only if you are a VERY heavy user AND use many scripts and keyboard shortcuts to navigate your models/drawings.

I suspect several things:

? some new middle-ground level of code writing for both platforms sacrificing Mac zippiness

? something to do with Quartz imaging

? the prefs for hardware-accelerated navigation and vectorcaching are suspicious in complicating things

P.S.

I notice we're running same machine? My Dual 2GHz is the first version that came out in summer of 2003. Hopefully that's not the reason...

whilst trying to eliminate outside factors, I've found that logging out of our data server put VW12 back to real time. VW11 seems fine whilst logged onto server - so something weird going on with VW12.

Arch.Ken - don't think its our machine - we have numerous other dual 2.3s 2.7s with same issue. do you work form a server?

Glad to eliminate the unlikely possibility of just the dual-processor 2GHz Mac being the problem!

Actually, I'm one of those users who's so tidy... running diagnostics and backing up data regularly, that I notice any slowdown immediately just from feel. I would dread working on files off of a network server let alone not being aware of the performance hit. My comment about the hardware was just half-serious. I'm not connect to any server. My other apps blaze along in blinding speed to witness.

The VW12 sluggishness was noticeable immediately upon installing 12 and getting all my settings in place (way back when). I've since settled upon the trade-off of new features for the quirks and sluggishness (well, almost... still complaining about the quirks, still complaining now about the sluggishness).

In fact, a good reminder is when I go back and revisit my old settings in 11.5.1. The navigation in and out of views and sheets and panning and zooming are amazing sprite.

VW12 is definitely inferior in performance.

I made the erroneous assumption that my experience with VW would get better as time went on. I figured that getting a Dual 2.3 G5 would speed things up; it did until I installed VW12.

I thought that VW12 would be faster than VW11, thinking that the Folks at NNA would have had time to "fine-tune" the software. Just add a stair object to your drawing; it is like dropping an anchor! The stair object has great potential, but it slows the computer to a crawl.

I guess I just don't understand this computer business. I keep getting faster computers, but NNA finds ways to slow them down.

Edited by Kevin
Just add a stair object to your drawing; it is like dropping an anchor! The stair object has great potential, but it slows the computer to a crawl.

I guess I just don't understand this computer business. I keep getting faster computers, but NNA finds ways to slow them down.

Dunno about you but if I draw a non-standard 3D/2D stair in VW 11 (i.e. any stair that can't be drawn with the stair tool, which is most) and then make the same one in VW 12 I can go sit down for lunch in the same time it takes in v11.

i think the network is a big factor.

i put shortcut links in my "libraries" + "defaults" folders to a network location, hoping to centralise resources...

and won't do it again...

the system lags right down + over wireless it's even worse, tea time between clicks..... grrrrr...

regards

gideon scott