Importing Survey data DTM

Dexie

I have been sent survey data in the form of a text file but cannot import it into a VW blank drawing sheet the data looks like -

Can anyone advise me on how to to do this. I have followed the import survey data instuctions and used coma separated text option but nothing happens.

Thank you in advance.

My thought is that you are creating stake object but that the objects created are a long way from the drawing origin. After the import, but before clicking on the drawing look at the object info pallet. You should see that a number of stake objects are selected. This is the imported data. If you want to see them run the command View > Zoom > Fit to objects.

No nothing appears in the drawing.

If I select AEC > Survey Input > Import survey file,... bowse to the text document.

Data from selected file.< Line 1 > should enable me scroll through the data I think. But no data appears.

I have chosen the Field separator as , (coma) but nothing happens.

I am confused.

I'm using a G5 Powermac VW 12.0.1.

I've tried again with the 14 lines of data and it comes up with "bad data line 2" .

This time data does appear in the <Line> data box but data in addition to the coordinates appers. eg. {\rtfl\mac in Line 1

{\fontfbl\f0\fswiss in Line 2

not until line 8 does the coordinate data kick in.

This text does not appear in the text document imported it appears to be invisible coding or something.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It sounds like there is some extra data in the text file. The comand will read all the data between the last coma and the <eoln> character and use it as the third data point. If it contains something other then a vaild number, the command will produce the error.

Try opening the file in a text editor that will chao wal the hidden characters and see what extra data is there, or copy and paste all the data into a simple text file and see if that clears things up.

Just checked a text files of 3700 points of survey data (point number, northing, easting, elevation & point description) & the text file size is 160 KB, but the same file in excel was 960 KB. I have sucessfully imported 1000's of text files into Vectorworks, have you choosen the correct drop down menu from the "file format" menu.

I've opened the data in excel and exported as tab delimited text. I have got further than before since VW has accepted the text file with no error message. The are 65,500 lines of data so it is working through it I hape will keep you updated as to the result.

I've yet to try DTM data importing in V12, but I essentially gave up from related problems with V9 I'm inferring from these posts that there (still?) isn't some less clumsy way to import survey data than via text files, created by first exporting from a spreadsheet (repeating this joyless process ad nauseum, as errors in format or data are discovered)? After this many new releases? Hopefully I am speaking too soon, and there IS some accommodation...

dsofio, XYZ Data is simple but very sensitive to corruption. Spreadsheet & text files are really ideal for editing and adding info. Spreadsheets also provide the benefit of adding Record items like point numbers & descriptions. Importing raw data TXT or VSS are proven to be easy and reliable methods.