3D foundation technique???

Fairfax

I am hoping for a simpler method to create a 3D foundation on a sloped lot. What I have been doing is using walls which I contour on the bottoms to the grade lines. All well and good, but the "ground" is transparent, so to avoid seeing the foundation from other walls in an elevation, I have found I need to create a solid-filled, no stroked 3D poly for each elevation, to mask any foundation which might appear from another side of the building. Then, I have to add the grade lines in as annotations to each elevation's viewport. Sound convoluted? I agree!!! I am using VW 11.5

I am not sure that I follow, but here are my thoughts.

I have a 3d house on a sloped lot. The foundation wall are deep enough to extend into the site. The site model has a texture and the foundation below the sites grade line is hidden.

VW has the ability to automatically extend walls to a roof. You might be able to use this feature to extend your foundation walls to the ground plane.

From a working drawing perspective, the footings would be stepped. I would be showing these dotted below the 2d grade line.

Thanks for the input. To answer, respectively:

1) Interesting idea, I will try that.

2 & 3) Requires the construction of a ground plane, which seems quite difficult in the case of sloping site to get accurate, but I may explore "at my leisure." ;-) I welcome further direction/comments on this process.

Graham

To make 'quick & dirty' 3d ground is really easy. Simply go to a side view and with the polygon tool draw the site profile. Add some depth below the 'grade line' and make sure the poly is 'closed'. While still in the side view select the the poly and extrude it. Make it 100' (or whatever) deep. Now go back to plan view. Ypu can drag or stretch the extrude from here to adjuact its extents. When I do this I usually create a new class just for this extrude so that I control its visibility (or lack thereof) in various different views & viewports.

Edited by CipesDesign
  • 2 weeks later...

Peter: I tried this but could not use the polygon tool with stacked layers, which I need to see the whole building. Realizing it is quick and dirty, do you just wing it, or am I missing simething?

Wait! Just tried it with the double line polygon. Mahvelous! Still have the stacked layers question, though...

Thanks

Don

Edited by blackdogarch

Don, Peter,

Using the 3d polygon tool when in "stacked layers" is the way to layout your gound poly. This way you can visualize the slope of the ground in a 2d environment while you draw in 3d reality. Once you have the closed 3d polygon, switch off stacked layers then convert the 3d poly to a 2d polygon (Modify -> Convert -> Convert to Polygon command). When you have it in this form than you can do an extrude and position your solid where you want. Be aware that when you shade the 3d poly you will need to set its class attribute to solid for shading to take affect. See graphic below. I did this simple ground mass in about 30 seconds.

QicGrnd1.jpg

Pete Anthony