MacPro

I have been complaining about this for a long time - as I went out and bought an Intel Mac Mini for working at home. The truth of the matter is that Nemetschek actually stated in the past that VW12 would be ready for the Intel Macs in line with Apple's release - and they have a version that they showed everyone at their booth. They should just release a beta to us now - as I would prefer to take my chances with that over what we have now.

I am very frustrated, and am looking at alternitives for future cad systems.

-JP

Just flicked onto the site before going to bed actually.

Yes, I saw this over on CGTalk about an hour ago.

Great news, I have to say I can hardly believe it. I could say I stand by my original post that the comparison was unfair in the link I originally posted and my post was related to that but I hold up my hands and say that indeed at this moment in time to many the impossible has happened - Apple is indeed cheaper.

I can't imagine how they've done it and I certainly would not expect the likes of Dell etc. to not react to this. If its a special deal cut between Intel and Apple then the rest of the industry is going to be very upset.

After a few configuration attempts on the Dell site (boy, do they make that process difficult) you only come equal or close by only having one dual core processor. It's like Apple are saying buy one get one free.

After years of thinking about owning an Apple personally it was always the price that held me back, and the cost of changing programs over.

I've got no excuse now, other than the little matter of somebody very important who wants a new kitchen, bathroom and the rest of the house finished before I get a "new toy" as she calls it, otherwise I'd order one tomorrow.

I can't see the boss at work upgrading my Dual 2 ghz G5 anytime soon sadly so I'll just have to watch with envy you guys.

So Apple have come up trumps, guess it's NNA's turn now, UB 12.5 I'm sure will be here shortly. Hope that stands up better than my Dell remarks ;~)

Night. Have a good weekend.

Alan

Edited by alanmac
Doug,

I happen to think you are being unreasonable to expect NNA or indeed any other software manufacturer of any size to be able launch UB versions to coincide with Apple hardware releases. On the Mac side as far as I am aware, there are NO professional CAD applications available as UBs.

:-)

ArchiCAD 10 is now available as Universal Binary in Beta (with VERY LITTLE problems, I might add, and very soon to be released as final UB) for anybody with a valid license to test-run.

Newtek have recently demo'ed UB versions of Lightwave. Cinema4D is UB, Modo 201 is UB, Art-Lantis Studio is UB and Cheetah 3D is UB...

All I can say is I hope NNA are doing LOTS of debugging in the time it's taken to get things to UB...!

-Jacques

Here's another comparison:

http://www.systemshootouts.org/shootouts/desktop/2006/0809_dt3200.html

After years of thinking about owning an Apple personally it was always the price that held me back,

I think you'll find that Apple hardware has often been maligned as expensive when in fact such hardware has been competitive or cheaper than other comparitive hardware. Problem is it's always been difficult to compare different architectures. I think Apple's reputation for being expensive comes mostly from not catering to the low end of the consumer market.

The Mac Mini was the first machine that did and suddenly they got a whole lot of press about being competitive on price for a change, which was a load of bollocks; if you analysed their offerings, the iMac was actually far better value. The Mac Mini may have been cheaper but you got a lot less bang for your buck.

Most people I've come across who go out and buy a cheap PC don't consider value for money, but instead just the cheapest price tag. So it's hardly surprising Apple got so much press for their Mac Mini.

and the cost of changing programs over.

Yeah that's always a sticking point, although it helps when companies like NNA provide cross platform licences!