Workgroup vs symbol in 3D model setup?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to organize my drawings:

My project has townhouse units which I have modeled individually and I would like to arrange them on a site model that can also be viewed and rendered in 3D. The unit models contain layers associated with each floor. You don't seem to be able to create a multilayer symbol so I have been looking at using workgroup references and creating layer links for each individual unit level but it seems tedious to use. Is there any way to simply nest a model within another model?

Thanks for any help!!

Jeremy Gagon

I have used this method and it works:

- Create a new drawing with a single layer in it and copy each of the floors into this layer, grouping each one as you do so.

- Start with the lowest floor and make sure its Z height is correct for your site model.

- As you paste in each successive floor, group it, and then move it in the Z direction by the required amount so that it sits correctly on top of the floor below.

- When you haver the whole unit assembled select all and create a symbol.

- Paste this symbol into your site model and use it repeatedly, rotated as you need.

If you need to change the symbol all you need to do is modify the source drawing symbol by replacing the changed floor(s), and then reimport it into your site drawing choosing to replace the existing symbol.

There is probably an easier way of doing this that I am not aware of, and hopefully someone else will post an easier solution for you, but in the meantime this will work.

What VW really needs is a module capability which allows you to do exactly what you need. Have a referenced drawing that contains a unit module which can be used repeatedly throughout the target drawing rotated and elevated height wise as you need it.

In version 8 I did a project similar to what you describe -- multiple files (models) of each building, then an aggregate site model. WGR may seem tedious in the beginning, but once set up, it updates beautifully with a single click.

The only problem I had was making sure all the layer names were different. Layer link the entire set of layers associated with each building, then unlock but group. You can move the grouped LL's and they will still update.

Arch.Ken is right - WGR works really well where each unit is a 'one off'. All you need to do is set the origin for each building model correctly in relation to its desired location in the site model.

If the same unit design is to be used repeatedly then the symbol route works better. I may have misinterpreted Jeremy's original query in that I assumed that "unit' meant that it was an element being used repeatedly.

The only problem I had was making sure all the layer names were different

I've have wanted to WGR information from two separate drawings files, that have the same layer naming structure. Which means I have to go back and rename the layers in one of the drawings. Sorry to use the AC word, but when you xref drawings in that program, it simply puts a prefix in front of layer name. This not only allows you use the same layer naming in all you drawings put tells you what the source drawing is for that layer.