C'mon 12.5

Uh, yeah, building software is nothing like building a house.

Can you imagine what the building industry would be like if it had to cope with things like the never-ending evolution of operating systems!!

NNA would currently be working on making their software work with: The moving target that is Vista, the oh-so-secret Lepoard, and Universal Binaries, all at the same time as trying to de-bug the existing.

What if the "Building Authorities" decided to change the power voltage every couple of years, and all the "old" houses from 3 years ago had to be rewired or they wouldn't work any more, ?!

Or de-bugging generally: Imagine if you moved a light fitting in one room and had to work out why that suddenly made the toilet stop working?? ;-D

Can you imagine the Site meetings? ;-)

I don't think a lot of people have a clear appreciation of the hideously inter-dependant game of pick-up-sticks that is software writing.

From my little experience with writing code, and my considerable experience building things, I'd have to say that I'd choose building for sheer simplicity any day! :-D

cheers!

N,

Some of you blokes obviously don't use other software. The complexity inherent in multiple operating systems and computer hardware is horrendous. There is no software that is 100%. Look at Apple and Microsoft. They are continually releasing updates to deal with problems.

Ask old Autocad users about Release 13 and they will cringe before your eyes. At one stage the Australian distributor for Archicad refused to release the first releases of a new version because of the grief it caused him. He used to wait until the X.01 or X.02 version came out.

NNA do a fairly good job. Some things are not exactly as we would all want them, but how much of this is because of unique needs not anticipated rather than bugs? A good percentage of them. Lets wait and see what 12.5 brings. Based on past experience I am sure it will be good.

Cause we use other software, including all the other major cad packages, but I have not had to update any of them for years to get over fundamental errors. I still use the same Outlook, Word, etc I did years ago. I have only had Vectorworks for 2 to 3 years I am on my third or fourth update and some basics still do not work and I am still waiting for a promise of the next update will fix it and / or meet the wish lists. NNA do not have to do a fairly good job - they have to do a better job if they want, and we want them to be the best.

mike m oz sez: Ask old Autocad users about Release 13 and they will cringe before your eyes.

I used Autocad release 13 in both DOS and Windows versions and had no serious problems. But I heard about others having difficulties with it. When we went to 14, I lost at least one of my favorite functions, and it took until rel. 2000 until it was restored.

Software can never be perfect. The best we can hope is that it doesn't get worse with each upgrade. When something doesn't work right, the first thing I do is to look for a work-around. That's about all you can do.

It's a love-hate relationship. Every new release must have new features, but those new features sometimes don't work, or cause old features to break. They also come with their own set of new glitches to annoy the heck out of you. You know the pattern if you've been using any particular software for a few years.

Today we're still at 12.0.1.

I only wish for incremental Internet Updating where ONLY maintenance releases and bug fixes are had by a free download and installer app...

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthrea...=true#Post63308

I want to download the minor bug fixes already solved and sitting in NNA's outbound docks. I want to download 12.0.2. Then next month I want to download 12.0.3. Etc.

Well nothing like starting a firestorm. While I appreciate the analogies to the construction industry, references to Jarrah aside (like a piece of red steel if you've never had it shoved in a dark place smile.gif ), I would suggest that despite the inherent complexities in writing software, it is incombent upon the manufacturer to supply a reliable and stable product. If fewer new features were introduced to retain stability, then so be it. I would have to agree with the Australian Archicad dealer. Life at midpoint releases is much easier without the unfulfilled promises of new features and slow, bloated code.

hello,

all our powerbooks got stolen and we had to buy new macbookspro.

vw 12 export to .dwg is not working properly on intel-macs. and for us that is a catastrophy because that?s our exchange format.

please, release a version where that is fixed. We are waiting every day.

best regards marek

hello,

all our powerbooks got stolen and we had to buy new macbookspro.

vw 12 export to .dwg is not working properly on intel-macs. and for us that is a catastrophy because that?s our exchange format.

please, release a version where that is fixed. We are waiting every day.

best regards marek

I wonder if a solution would be to buy or borrow an older Mac and use it only for file translation. You could work on the MacBooks and send those files to the G4/G5. It would be like a print server only it would be a DWG server.

Would this work?

Hi

I just got an invite in the post for 'an evening with Nemetschek' on a boat on the Thames .... one of the things in the blerb it says you can hear how well Vectorworks works on the new Intel Mac .... well hey I dont want to hear how well it works I want to use it !!!