Hardscape Rendering in Isometric and 3D views

ALA

I am a new user to Vector Works. I am using Vector Works 12 with Landmark and Render Works. My question...Do hardscapes render in isometric and perspective views? When changing views to isometric I only get an outline of the pad but no textures. Walls and trees render as designated but the view looks pretty sorry without the hardscapes rendered. After all, I am a landscape architect and this is a very important aspect of the overall design.

• 9 months later...

I think what you are refering to is a common downside of the (otherwise extremely handy) VW "Hybrid" environment that confuses many new users.

The "rendered" pattern that you see in Plan View is not actually a Render in the 3D sense of the word, but a 2D "fill". Think of it as a sort of Parametric Hatch.

As such (in VW) it can only be applied to a 2D object, and as soon as a hybrid object goes into a 3D view it dissapears.

Exactly the same thing happens with wall styles and various other VW objects. There is no current automatic way to have the 2D pattern appear as a 3D render. Basically you have to apply a 3D texture to a 3D object to see a texture in 3D. This can be a premade one or can be made by using an image of your own (for instance exporting an image of the paving pattern)

Somewhat clumbsy, but there you go.

HTH

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Many thanks - I appreciate your help. I can understand this and it all makes sense. But how to achieve it? I set a render within the OIP. I have no fill set in the attributes palette.

I look at the hardscape in 3D, and choose ANY of the View/Render options, but still - grey. I must be doing something silly. Any pointers gratefully received!

Thanks

Tamsin

You do have Renderworks?

And the object is set to have a Solid Fill in the Attributes pallette,

and the Render mode is set to Open GL or one of the other solid render modes?

BTW. what is the type of Object you are working on, (what does it say in the OIP)?

N.

Edited by propstuff
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi

Yes - I do have Renderworks. The Object type is Hardscape in OIP. I have set a solid fill and yes, the selected colour does show up when I view in 3D, but I want to make it look better... I can set a render on the Render Tab in the OIP, but it makes no difference when displaying the object.

Thanks for your help!