File Open/Ref File Updating

eric.rktek

Question

It would be really nice if VW included an option that let you choose to not locate all the lost reference files when you open a drawing. We had to reconfigure our server setup a while ago. This broke the path of reference files on a lot of our old drawings. I often have to open up one of these files, and click through several times do choose not to locate each individual reference file. I really don't want to spend all the time to fix the links, just track down a little bit of data in the file in question. I think having the prompt is helpful, but providing a button that says "Ignore All" or such would really save a lot of time.

6 answers to this question

Jonathan,

I hope this doesn't sound lazy- but here is the deal. We changed our directory set up a while ago. I often have to enter an old file to grab a piece of information, but I don't have a particular need to go through and spend the time to repair all the reference links. I just need to check a measurement or copy some info. I also don't want to go in and break the links should I ever need to go back to the file and update something, say while the project is under construction. We typically can have several links in each drawing so it can take a couple minutes to click through all the cancel buttons to actuall open a file. This is the reason I am asking for a "Ignore All" type option when the dialog process starts for ref files when I open something.

A corallary (sp?) request/suggestion would be to have reference files with broken links show up differently in the WGR window. Say with red text instead of the regular black. I know many programs (InDesign to be one that comes to mind) that clearly shows you that a link is broken to a referenced file at a quick glance.

Another way to handle my request would be to provide a pop up window asking if you would like to go to the WGR window when the file opens if there are broken links. If there were clear markers for broken references, it would be very easy to repair links, or select the cancel button to exit the operation and get on with the file.

As someone who uses many references I would like to bump this wish.

I am perfectly happy to have a WGR with a lost link show up differently just in the Workgroup Reference window. But to have to cycle through as many as 6 or 7 references to track down if something has moved is maddening.