PRINT EXPORT

The Hamma

Question

I WOULD LIKE TO VECTORWORKS TO BE ABLE TO EXPORT FILES VIA THE PRINT COMMAND. REASON BEING IT WOULD BE NICE TO PRINT A 2D MODEL SPACE ONLY DWG TO SEND TO THE ENGINEERS. OUR ENGINEERS GET PRETTY ANNOYED WITH PAPER SPACE. THE OTHER OPTION WOULD BE TO BEABLE TO CONVERT A PRINT SHEET AND ALL THE VIEWPORTS TO A GROUP SO I COULD PLACE THEM ON A SINGLE LAYER TO THEN EXPORT.

10 answers to this question

the hamma,

if you wish to place items in one area to export, create a new design layer, and use layer link to import all of the sheets that you wish to view together... make sure that the classes are visible on those selections. once the layers are linked to the same 'design layer' they must be unlocked to move them around, but you can rotate or flip them at that point....

to export from a mac, hit command print, and go to the 'pdf' button in the bottom left corner and 'save as pdf'

or

export as image.... use the marque to select the area to export, and save as .jpd

try that on for size

best luck

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, BUT NOT WHAT I NEED. I NEED A AUTOCAD DWG THAT IS NO MORE THAN WHAT YOU SEE WHEN YOU PRINT. VECTORWORKS HAS MANY GREAT FEATURES, AND I LOVE IT, BUT THE ENGINEERS MOST OF THE TIME JUST NEED A SIMPLE FLAT PLAN. NOTHING SPECIAL. WHAT I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO IS KIND OF LIKE THE FLATTEN LAYERS COMMAND IN PHOTOSHOP. YOU HAVE THIS COMPLEX IMAGE AND THEN YOU JUST FLATTEN IT ALL TO ONE LAYER. SIMPLE...

Hi Hamma, to get everything onto one Vectorworks layer you would need to draw it all on one layer in the first place, or copy and paste.

The other thing you might like to do, if you're using Vectorworks 12, is duplicate your file before exporting and then tweak that file for exporting purposes, for instance by deleting all classes (except hard-coded ones such as Dimension and None) and reassigning them to None.

P.S. Can you write in lower case? Makes it easier to read.

I am not so much looking for a work around. I know how to get the information in the format I need. I am just trying to save time. It doesn't do me much good to use viewports if I must rework it all on a new layer to give it to the engineers . I just would like to be able to convert what I see on the screen to a new drawing, I can save it as an image, but not a drawing.

Yes, Design layers would be good but mostly Sheet Layers. I just remember back when everything was drawn as printed. Now we hide so much stuff in turned off classes, Layers and Cropped viewports. It would just be nice to export a clean simple representation of what is displayed on the screen at any given time.

Thinking a bit more about my wish. I would like to be able to keep items grouped and polylines and such. It would be nice that if the viewport crops something then it is recreated as a smaller piece but if it doesn't then the object stays intact. And I said single layer but, I have changed my mind on that one, Just as long as the Dwg is produced in model space and no paper space.