Corrupted File

I have a file for a small project that may have become corrupted. I am using VW 12.0.1 and Mac OS 10.4.7

When I try to open the file, it often causes Vectorworks to crash. I don't get a message with any induction of what is happening. I can sometimes get the file to open, and have tried saving multiple copies, but the copies all have the same problem. I have tried OSX permissions repair several times, and I have also use the OSX "Font Book" to verify the fonts on the computer.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to save the file or easily either export or cut and paste the information into a new file?

The file has about 15 viewports with notes and dimensions made in the viewport. Their are 12 design layers and 5 sheet layers.

Using viewports seems to make it complicated to cut a and past information without a lot of work setting up a new file and creating new viewports within the new file.

I have made a backup each day, but may need to go back two days to get a stable copy of the file.

Any suggestions to help repair or salvage the file will be appreciated!

Wow! That was a fast response!

I don't recall getting any message except an OSX message saying something to the effect that Vectorworks has unexpectedly quit and asking if I would like to report the problem to Apple.

Other VW files open fine: this is the only one that has a problem.

I have had this problem as well.... in all cases it was a layer link which was causing the problem. I tracked the problem down to a corrupted wall that could not layer link. I created a new design layer, layer linked it to a new sheet. copied the walls one at a time to the new design layer and checked to see if the layer link was still working. If it worked I copied another wall. when it quit working, I deleted the wall I had just copied the rest to the new design layer and fixed the problem....the layer link still worked, and they walked off, into the forest, happily ever after....

best of luck

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Some New Information: I tried opening the problem file on a laptop at home last night. It opened fine on the laptop computer, so I now think the problem is somehow caused by something within my office Apple G4 desktop computer, and is not with the VW file.

I am thinking the problem could be either corrupted font or perhaps the VW preferences?

I have used the Apple "Font Book" program to "Validate" the fonts on the computer. They all check out as OK. Is there another font program I should use to double check for corrupted fonts?

I will search the tech-board for information on deleting the VW preferences and try that as well.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions or any other thoughts as to what might cause this problem?

1.25mhz G4 duel

OS 10.4.7

VW 12.0.1

Here is an update:

1. Copied file from G4 Desktop to USB flash drive.

2. Copied file from flash drive to G4 laptop.

3. Opened file on G4 laptop with no problems, made a few minor changes on laptop.

4. Copied file from laptop to Flash drive.

5. Copied file from flash drive to desktop computer.

6. File now seems to open fine.

I seem to have stumbled into a solution to the problem, but I wonder what could be going on???