Need Some General Advice

I am helping my father extend his current contracting business into another area. We want to move into custom cabinetry for the new home market. What I am looking for is a software CAD or CAD-like solution to design custom cabinetry. A very huge plus would be to be able to effectively present the custom designs from within the same software as well. This search has brought me to look at VectorWorks + InteriorCAD, but my expertise is quite simply not in this area.

I am essentially at my own free will to dictate the hardware we will purchase, so what I would LIKE to see is an all Mac solution running on MacBook Pros that are maxed out on RAM. I do not want to have to run Windows, but if its necessary so be it.

The breakdown of all the applications, plugins, and versions are confusing so my main questions follow:

? Does Vectorworks+InteriorCAD sound like a good solution, or is it either not quite right or overkill?

? Which version of Vectorworks do I need to look at? (guessing Fundamental)

? Is Renderworks a separate purchase or included with Vectorworks? (I did not find a way to purchase it on the site)

? Could people please post their experiences using Renderworks for presentation?

Thanks so very much in advance.

I teach VectorWorks and interiorCAD to my clients in New Zealand and have writen a few manuals that will help you to learn these packages. I have some questions for you..

? Get VectorWorks Architect, that way you get wall styles and Section viewports. The section viewports make it so much easier to make cabinets

? Renderworks can make a good job presenting the kitchen.

Will you be building the cabinets or will you subcontract that? The reason I ask is that interiorCAD can make cutting lists, quotes and with CAM version can send the cabinet to a CNC machine.

I think you need to see some demos and seek advice from resellers before make the decision. The movies on the nna web site are good but I must admit I have trouble opening them now they have been converted to flash. Look at the nna galleries for examples of presentations. Rememeber it is a sophisicated package and can be complcated for a beginner to learn and training will be required.

We will definitely be training the primary user(s) of the software. I would definitely love to see some demos, but I'm at a loss as to how to find someone to demonstrate in my area. Is there some sort of list somewhere of vendors/resellers?

Edited by scorp

I've used VW Arch with InteriorCAD for a custom cabinet and millwork business for several years and am generally very happy. Though others disagree with me, keep in mind that InteriorCAD is the English version of a German product, and as such is most efficient at European-style construction and detailing, i.e., 32mm System, and built-in libraries of European hardware. This works for my shop, but I'm less sure for face-frame shops, though, importantly, in the latest version (3.0) has new face-frame functionality added for the American market.

I know there is a full demo version available for download from the iCAD site (it just limits case size to one crazy dimension), but otherwise has every option available to explore. I don't know about VW demos, but if you could find a source, iCAD is an easy plug-in.

I concur with others; at a minimum, get VW Arch--if you can spend the extra dough, Industry Series (Mechanical for detailing). Renderworks integrates seamlessly and makes a powerful presentation tool when someone has the time to tweak settings and sit out render times. I generally use it for adequate photo-style renderings so that the architects/designers know what they are getting, and my workers know what they are building in a more tactile way than dimensioned elevs, section, details, etc.

Scorp,

Per your question on getting some demos.

There is a list of pre-qualified trainers by region and area in the Nemetschek area this forum is located. I am sure that one of them wopuld be able to help you with a demo and may be able to tailor training to suit your needs.

B. Clyde Beck