VW 12 Swap from PC to Mac....????

barneymac

Question

5 answers to this question

It was my understanding from information given by Nemetschek that with VW12 came merged licensing. The program came with both Windows and Apple versions on the disk, and the serial number worked for either.

This was not the case for earlier version prior to VW12, which needed to have seperate numbers for each OS.

Check with the boss man.

Alan

Edited by alanmac

Hi Katie

Interesting, and somewhat disconcerting. As a UK user I'm a dongle encumbered user and reluctently accept this is brought about by the demands of this countries distributor, unlike you folks in the US.

I can understand you shaping the release, dongles etc to suit local distributor requirement to protect say their investment but not have this basic release model throughout the whole world I find strange.

I was in fact told twice, once here and once on the users list that release 12 would be dual platform capable with one serial number for both, by Sean Flaherty if my memory serves me correctly.

Name me one other major software release that does such a thing to its users. I'm not talking about the different numbers for Windows or Mac as it was before VW12, but if you get the software for installing on either Mac or Windows with one serial number then its across the board, worldwide.

Sorry, but this is wrong, and I fail to see how this protects the distributor, certainly in the case of the UK its still requires the dongle to be in to run so no chance of running multiple copies if you wanted to illegally break the software agreement anyway.

What it does do is ensure, as with other software, if you change platforms, and with Intel Macs etc, there is even more likehood now, you can do so without waiting as before to license change at upgrade time.

I'd say hardware/OS changes rarely fall neatly in line with the software upgrading timetable you and other software companies work to.

I don't know if this is the case in the UK yet but whoever it effects its making them the poor relation to other users and this anomaly should be rectified in my opinion.

Alan