Importing/exporting LW3 data to SL11

Hello all, hopefully someone can help me out. I'm confident I am doing the import and exports correctly, but upon importing instrument data to Spotlight, all of my fixtures are not only orphaned, but changed to truss symbols resembling one of the lighting positions. When I select one of these truss symbols, the OIP shows the data but in the wrong places.

Any and all guidance is appreciated.

Glenn

I'm not at the computer with VW, but some thoughts.

Orphaned units indicates that there's no match between the LW units and the VW units. VW creates new objects and calls them orphans upon import.

Double check the LW file to see if these units have external ID's. You need to open up Columns and allow a view of EID's. The EID in LW should match the UID in VW, for a particular unit.

When you created the plot, did you convert units to lighting symbols ?.

I create the plot first, creating symbols, positions (converting lights and positions to lighting symbols and lighting positions), numbering correctly on the plot and sometimes adding a Purpose, I then export this file to LW. VW is where the UID is created and that shows up in LW. I can then sort, develop a (dimming) system, color frame info, add channels, dimmers (circuits as needed) purpose, color, templates, use, etc... in LW then export back to VW to flesh out the plot. It is possible to import to VW a non-VW show from LW (having no UID's/EID's) and then match those oprhaned units to symbols and positions, frame size, etc... but it's very tedious.

It also sounds like there's issues with the mapping fields, which would cause information in particular LW fields to not line up with the corresponding VW fields. You need to create a map during the import (which you can save for future use). Re read the manual (VW and LW) for information about mapping, especially about importing first record and blank spaces. Getting the mapping correct is vital.

SB

"Re read the manual (VW and LW) for information about mapping, especially about importing first record and blank spaces. Getting the mapping correct is vital."

These are all key words to my success. I misread somehow the blank spaces portion. Tech support helped me iron it out, although I'm embarrassed that he did nothing more than read me the manual!

Thanks for the response.