Move Command

Bruce Kieffer

Question

14 answers to this question

Well Bruce, This is going to sound harsh, but I think if you are using VW's then it is rather foolish (and truly naive) to think in those terms. That's sort of like saying "I'm an English speaker and I live in Spain. I think that all Spanish people should understand my English and I refuse to learn Spanish". You are not going to change these conventions. You need to learn (and use) the language, or go live somewhere else. It's as simple as that.

Edited by CipesDesign

Actually, I think BK is making a reasonable observation in that life in the 3D world can become extremely disorienting especially when it comes to moving stuff around. How easy it is to be in X believing that you are in Y and then moving an object or pieces of it only to later discover that you in K or J space !

BK , you may need to select the VW Preferences>3D>Show Axis Labels.

But even the Axis Labels can be difficult to understand as the model evolves in space.

You can blame Leibnitz, Descartes & Newton for this confusion ; )

islandmon, the 3D world is the one we live in. The computer screen is a 2D world that tries to simulate our 3D world. For this reason, I find it easier to use x,y,z etc to visualize what's going on in this alternate environment.

Why is furniture making different from designing other objects?

I agree with Peter on this one.

George

I understand and live with x,y but it isn't the fastest and easiest way. Most other CAD programs give you the option to grab an object, pick a reference, start motion in a certain direction and then type in a distance for it to move from the reference point. I am a competent draftsmen in, Autocad, Generic Cadd, DataCad and Vectorworks, and in my opinion Vectorworks has the slowest move system of them all.