Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Kieffer

Move Command

Question

I never get an object moved correctly the first time when I use the move command. I live in and up/down right/left world, not an x/y axis world. How about changing, or at less adding, up/down and left/right to the move command dialog box.

14 answers to this question

all computer software works on x/y coordinates, word, InDesign, Photoshop, all the CAD programs.. When I teach people VectorWorks I remind them about high school mathematics, where x goes along the bottom axis and y goes on the up axis..

This is like forcing people to remember high school coordinate geometry while they happily do their daily professional work! WTF!

Are you guys trying to tell me that you've been using cad software for at least six years and are having a hard time with using x/y coordinates? What happens when you have to deal with z?

Well, my comment was facetious...

(and WTF = Wonderful Tootee Fruitcake in case any stodgy geezer is rolling over in his grave)

Are you guys trying to tell me that you've been using cad software for at least six years and are having a hard time with using x/y coordinates? What happens when you have to deal with z?

Yes... I use VW to draw furniture, so x,y and z have no relevance in my world.

Well Bruce, This is going to sound harsh, but I think if you are using VW's then it is rather foolish (and truly naive) to think in those terms. That's sort of like saying "I'm an English speaker and I live in Spain. I think that all Spanish people should understand my English and I refuse to learn Spanish". You are not going to change these conventions. You need to learn (and use) the language, or go live somewhere else. It's as simple as that.

Edited by CipesDesign

Actually, I think BK is making a reasonable observation in that life in the 3D world can become extremely disorienting especially when it comes to moving stuff around. How easy it is to be in X believing that you are in Y and then moving an object or pieces of it only to later discover that you in K or J space !

BK , you may need to select the VW Preferences>3D>Show Axis Labels.

But even the Axis Labels can be difficult to understand as the model evolves in space.

You can blame Leibnitz, Descartes & Newton for this confusion ; )

islandmon, the 3D world is the one we live in. The computer screen is a 2D world that tries to simulate our 3D world. For this reason, I find it easier to use x,y,z etc to visualize what's going on in this alternate environment.

Why is furniture making different from designing other objects?

I agree with Peter on this one.

George

It seems the Up/Down options would add more complexity. You would have to have four boxes to toggle through to enter numbers. On each for Up, Down, Left, and Right. Is x/y really that hard to use?

I understand and live with x,y but it isn't the fastest and easiest way. Most other CAD programs give you the option to grab an object, pick a reference, start motion in a certain direction and then type in a distance for it to move from the reference point. I am a competent draftsmen in, Autocad, Generic Cadd, DataCad and Vectorworks, and in my opinion Vectorworks has the slowest move system of them all.

Yes you can, still slower than all the other programs, and doesn't have the versitilty of a reference point move.

Edited by The Hamma